i need help

86boosted

i need some help i just got a 86 conquest and it misses out while driving like its not getting enogh fuel i changed the plugs to the injetocrs what else could it be the injectors are new it runs fine in boost but runs like crap wen not in boost

what injectors did you put it ? 86 uses 2 850 cc injectors black top stock . you also need to do a tps isc reset download the factory service manual in the faqs section thread is starquest newbee checklist there should be a link you need to copy and paste if you cant find it search for fsm make sure your timing is correct first

there the stock injectors the were rebuilt and i just rebuilt the throttle body i dont know wat else to do im not shure if its the fuel or not but wen u drive it it will just start spittin and sputterin out of no where

what injectors did you put it ? 86 uses 2 850 cc injectors black top stock . you also need to do a tps isc reset download the factory service manual in the faqs section thread is starquest newbee checklist there should be a link you need to copy and paste if you cant find it search for fsm make sure your timing is correct first

Wait the 86 uses 2 Black tops?

Does the 87 as well?

You'll need a hand vac. pump. Pull vacuum on the adv. unit and see that it holds. If it doesn't its bad. The Vac. adv. is also boost retard timing too and that's why its important. It won't matter much you can still drive the car if the adv. part is working but when it reverses then you have issues under boost and higher rpms when the knock sensor goes off.

All injectors "could" have black tops depending on if they have been re-manufactured or not. 86s should have two that have the letter "J" on then if its an intercooled car or perhaps "H" if not, J and H are very close in the amount they dispense if not the same. All the injectors are the same its just that tiny opening in the tip that is different.

No it makes no difference at idle if you remove the hose to the vacuum advance unit that is unless you leave the end of the hose open it might. At idle there isn't enough vacuum to cause it to change timing and it makes no difference if you have a leaky one at idle the leak couldn't be that big. You shouldn't be able to tell any difference.

Spitting and sputtering can be over-rich too - flooding out. That leads to black plugs too. Leaking injector, miserable ignition timing, vacuum leaks ANYWHERE, a plugged fuel return hose leading to excess fuel pressure, etc.

mike c.

86 fuel system is easier to flood out like the 83 - 85 too because the injectors dispense larger amounts of fuel one then the other and repeat where the 87-89 system uses a sligtly smaller opening injector that fires all the time. Those larger opening injectors being dirty very quickly make for a flooded car. Even the 87+ with a dirty primary can foul plugs. Might need to have those cleaned.