bad tempersor sensor

sittin-sideways

yes,

there are several temp sensors.

one for temp gauge

one for ECU

and one for something else, dont know

the one that ur worried bout is the temp sens. with 2 prongs on it.(setting up on the intake)

that ones for the ECU, and will make the car run RICH

Those are two completely different sensors. One, the CTS is for the ECU and its just a resistor that changes as temperatures of the coolant that flows over the tip of it changes. The temp. gauge switch (sensor) is a switch but its "switch" part has nothing at all to do with the temp. gauge the switch part is to let an automatic transmission be able to go into overdrive and for the HVAC not to be able to blow cold air in your face and the part to make the temp. gauge move is a resistor and it just happens to be in the same screw in part but one has nothing to do with the other its just for convenience. Non auto tranny cars and non hvac cars just use a single terminal sensor, like the one from the trucks that had a gauge only. (hint, its cheaper and does the same thing if you have no automatic and don't care about the hvac part cause it will work anyway just the "auto" part won't act the same when the coolant is cold). What can happen is that these sensors are misidentified and the plug for the CTS used for gauge, the gauge acts differently and the CTS feedback is wacko.

huh, i don't understand, ok if am look at my intake from driver side fender, from left to right. i have a two plung sensor under the thermoset housing, this there one plung sensor that right on the thermoset housing. then egr sensor. and two plung sensor on top of intake, left from the tps sensor. ?? thanks guys Edited by sittin-sideways

http://inpcars.com/engine-temperature/standardmotorproductstx32-a.jpg

that plastic end, the molded black part that the terminals are in, if you look at it from the end it is an OVAL shape, all CTS are made that way if its not then its a temp. gauge unit and not a CTS.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TX32-MITSUBISHI-DODGE-COOLANT-TEM-SENSOR-MD069879_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem334f97dbb0QQitemZ220378684336QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Go to autozone and type TX32 in the part number box, that's the part and it shows three different pics of it.

Edited by Indiana

• 1 month later...

ok on an 88 automatic quest my coolant gauge dont work if i jump the 2 wire sensor, on leg to ground the gauge reads full hot, is this the correct one for the gauge and,dows it do anytihng other than the hvac and gauge

for our automatic cars, the sensor it sounds like you need is the 2 pronged one, and it sits horizontally right under the large upper radiator hose, NOT THE ONE BY THE DIPSTICK, as Shelby noted. This sensor under the upper rad hose is for the gauge in your dash, but also allows OD to engage in autos when a certain temp. is reached via that sensor.

its NOT the one with the molded end that is oval. The plastic part that the terminals are molded in to is oval for the coolant temp sensor for the ECU. The gauge sensor is also two prong but not an oval end. Yea that's about the price of them. The sensor in the upper thermostat housing is to shut down the a/c compressor when the coolant is past ~212degrees and that's all it does it has no other purpose.