Hood Hinges

BMX2FOUR7

Hey i need stock hood hinges, mine ripped out as a result of the hood flying open. it's a long story but the hinges are toast and i dont wanna have to put in four hood pins and be trying to lift the hood off anytime this thing needs looked at. It's an 87 but i imagine any year stock hinges would do the trick. Or any advice on another solution to my problem besides the hood pins.

You're in for a treat if you're wanting to change the hinges. They don't bolt in. They part of the cowl assembly, and it's tied into the firewall and goes up into the bottom of the windshield. My 88's got the same damage, so I when I parted my 87 I pulled that piece. Took a few hours to get all the spot welds drilled out, and a lot of bad words. The windshile has to come out, the fenders have to come off. I've never had the gumption to want to change it on my 88 yet, so the piece just sits in the garage waiting for me to get the space and the motivation for this big nasty project. My hood still opens and closes fine, just got a couple small creases in the it's back corners, and some nasty dents in the cowl. You might look into finding another way to get your hinges functional again and doctoring up the cosmetic damage, just to save yourself from a big PITA repair.

Im not sure about taking the fenders off and removeing the windshield. all i did is take the wiper cowls off and the two removeable covers on the firewall. then i actually used a chizel and a hammer and pounded down the firewall inbetween the hinges and it pryed off the old hinges. now had i have been thinking i wouldve just drilled out the indentations where u can see its welded and then just yanked on them cause there is some glue. but from my experiance theres is no major part removals just the wipers and cowl. as well as the two covers near the hinges. Take a look and let me know if you have the same luck as me. thanks

If you look in the service manual it tells you how to replace the hood hinges. Why it tells you this I'm not sure but it does.

There are 4 spotwelds on each hinge. Drill those spotwelds out and the hinges come off. May have some glue/paint holding it on as well. Grind the firewall smooth then do a plugweld to put the new hinges on. Easy fix, just time consuming. btw I hate drilling spotwelds too. Get a spotweld cutter, saves alot of time.

If you use a spotweld cutter to just cut the hinge side you can weld the new hinge on. If you drill all the way through you need to remove the cowl and use bolts.

• 5 weeks later...
i will tell you this, its a pain in the ARSE!!! and the new oem hinges are available and very cheap!! BUT as the above guy posted there is spot welds and the new hinges from dealer are nuts with studs attached to the bracket plate. if you dont have a 10mm spot weld bit then forget it, cus trying to use a regualr drill bit ruins it cus you need to save those holes the spot welds are at to be minimal for the studs/nuts. Meaning by the time you use a regaulr drill bit to take up the spot weld your hole is huge and no metal is left to attach to beyond the hoels for mounting the new bracket. So yea in short get the proper bit for spot weld removal. its simply called spot weld bit and its a size 10mm. using a 10mm bit will not do it cus you will make a 10mm hole but you still have weld there and a hole that would just need to still be reamed bigger and again- end up not being able to mount your brackets.