g54b replacement preparation

Toad

Hey guys, I got another g54b to replace the one I exploded recently in the interest of saving money. I have a couple of questions, but I'm sure I'll have lots more.

1. I've read you can use Marvel Mystery Oil to prep an engine that has been sitting. However, this requires the engine be turned on to clean it out. In the first few strokes, before the oil coats the cylinder walls, I'm worried the cylinders will be damaged. Am I being paranoid?

2. I want to buy a complete engine gasket set. How much should I be paying? I've seen a Felpro set for $40 or so, but that seems awful cheap to be of quality. Are the felpro sets good enough?

More to come, I'm sure... Thanks!

I put a little oil in the spark plug holes and turned the engine over by hand at least every few days while it sat before I could get it in the car. The felpro gasket set will work just fine. I think you will see that most of us have used those gaskets for rebuilds.

Get your parts here: http://www.enginemachineservice.com/conquest.html

The owner and operator of this fine shop is a well respected member on these forums. His username is Dad

Edit: Just noticed you live in Columbus. I don't think the shop is far from you. Better prices and service won't be found anywhere.

Edited by psu_Crash

I put a little oil in the spark plug holes and turned the engine over by hand at least every few days while it sat before I could get it in the car. The felpro gasket set will work just fine. I think you will see that most of us have used those gaskets for rebuilds.

Cool, that sounds similar to what we were planning to do before. Glad we're on the right track.

Also on that note, The oil cooler is the only part that will have the old oil left in it. I'm assuming that it has a bunch of particulate in it from the explosion. Should I have that flushed? Is it like doing a radiator?

Most definitely flush the oil cooler out, as well as turbo feed lines and any other lines that you maybe re-using.

I used gas to flush out the cooler followed by compressed air, but everyone has there own opinion on that. I'm sure you can pick something up at the local auto parts store that is a little more friendly, there are lots of options. Just make sure you get all the metal shavings from the old engine out of there.