What if only one headlight goes down?

starhunter

I've done some searching but cant find anything for just one headlight issue. I know when I bought it the previous owner pulled a few relays to make it go down but I dont want to do that all the time and I havent been able to replicate it.

If the quick fix is pulling a couple relays, I would think its an electrical issue. I really want to hard wire the headlight pop up function to one toggle switch off the panel. Anyone else done this? I know there are relays abound so this may not be as easy as I think.

Edited by starhunter

• 2 weeks later...

check the vacuum line that connect two head light together, right in the back of the front bumper, mine was cracked and it did that before too.

Just followed the vac line across the engine, no issue there.

I would really rather hard wire the pop up function. any ideas or concerns?

Swap the two headlight relays and see if the inoperative pop-up goes to the other headlight. If so, it's a bad relay. If not, odds are it's a problem with the contacts inside the headlight motor/gearbox itself. Those contacts are basically a switch inside the motor; the switch is what kills the pop-up relays once the pop-ups reach the full UP or DOWN positions. As the pop-ups reach full up/down, those contacts "flip" internally to stop the motor's current direction and get ready to go the other way. Eventually though the contacts can get dirty/burned.

One way to "test" the contacts:

Use the dash pop-up switch to make both lights UP or DOWN -- whichever way your current one is stuck. Then reach underneath the bumper into the hole in the plastic panel underneath the bumper and you'll feel a manual twist knob to raise/lower the pop-up. Turn it until the bad pop-up is half-way open. Now flip the dash pop-up switch and see if the motor continues the motion. Then push the switch again. If the motor can run one way but not the other, it's either the internal switch contacts or a bad wire/connection on one of the wires coming from the two-wire connector at the pop-up. That two-wire connector IS the output of the switch contacts.

To prove it's the contacts (or not), you'll need a good ohmmeter.

Fully raise both pop-ups (use the manual knob underneath the bumper if necessary) and then unplug BOTH 2 pin connectors (one from each headlight) and BOTH 4-pin connectors. On the "working" pop-up, measure from the wire that normally connects to the harness green+blue wire if the working pop-up is the driver side, or from the green+red wire on the passenger side (they could be any color on the headlight side of the 4-pin connector, so match up from the wiring harness to see what color it becomes) to the 2-pin connector. One pin of the 2-pin connector should show nearly zero ohms to the green+blue or green+red wire. Verify you get the same conductivity between the two headlights. Now manually lower both pop-ups. Repeat the ohmmeter test; this time the other wire in the 2-pin connectors should show continuity. If both pop-ups have the same continuity; the pop-up contacts/switches are okay... your bug is a relay or wiring. If one pop-up reads differently from the other (especially if the broken one is missing continuity to either wire in the 2-pin connector) then you've proven it's inside the pop-up mechanism.

mike c.

Just followed the vac line across the engine, no issue there.

I would really rather hard wire the pop up function. any ideas or concerns?

That vacuum line is for the cruise control. Check what mikec said and also check the fusible links next to your battery. Sometimes it's as simple as pulling the wires and reconnecting them, most of the times you just have to replace the links.

Have you ever noticed a very small sliver of smoke coming out of your headlight switch on your dash? That'd be the next area I would check, it's amazing what some CRC Contact Cleaner can do.