Idea for HID headlights

EddieT

I plan on building two headlight setups using Acura Integra projectors - one as a low-profile pop-up [sleepy-eyes, if you will] and a flush-mount setup behind molded Lexan. While they aren't specifically HID projectors, they have an amazing cutoff with very little light scatter.

• 1 month later...

I plan on building two headlight setups using Acura Integra projectors - one as a low-profile pop-up [sleepy-eyes, if you will] and a flush-mount setup behind molded Lexan. While they aren't specifically HID projectors, they have an amazing cutoff with very little light scatter.

Dave-O,

Would you care to elaborate on what specific years?

Rgds,

Jms

I think I found a replacement set up for our cars. Our headlights are an H6054 sealed unit. There are several companies out there that make conversion kits to the H4 bulb set up. You then could use either a normal bulb, or an HID kit (which I can get REAL cheap $150.00 for quality kits!!). Either way, you are going brighter. They even have projector kits out there.

Heres what I am looking at doing when the cars running better.... :ph34r:

http://www.racinglab.com/sealed-beam-h6054-168.html

Edited by Polcat87

Wonder if someone could use the fog light housings/area for a headlight set up. Never would have to raise the stockers.

There are projectors that will fit into the bumper openings, but it will require extensive modification to the stock foglight housings or a fabricated-from-scratch housing. E46 single xenon HID projectors do fit into the openings, so a real HID setup can be done, but the housings will need to be fabricated.

However, most local laws prohibit headlights from being a certain height above the ground(no lower than 18" as an example).

I think I found a replacement set up for our cars. Our headlights are an H6054 sealed unit. There are several companies out there that make conversion kits to the H4 bulb set up. You then could use either a normal bulb, or an HID kit (which I can get REAL cheap $150.00 for quality kits!!). Either way, you are going brighter. They even have projector kits out there.

Heres what I am looking at doing when the cars running better.... :ph34r:

http://www.racinglab.com/sealed-beam-h6054-168.html

There isn't a set of 6054's on the planet that will control the output from drop-in HID "kits". You will have extreme hot spots and massive glare, which shoots the lighting upward and not on the road where it should be. Legality and on-coming driver safety aside, they're just a piss poor way of going about it. Sure, it'll be WAY brighter, just in all the wrong areas.

Use projectors designed for HID's and retrofit them into the 6054 housings. There are 6054 housings with HID's installed already, but the length of the projector makes the front cover bubble outward, which might contact the header panel area during opening/closing. I haven't tried those, as they're $1000 and you can piece together much better quality OEM HID components for much much less.

There are projectors that will fit into the bumper openings, but it will require extensive modification to the stock foglight housings or a fabricated-from-scratch housing. E46 single xenon HID projectors do fit into the openings, so a real HID setup can be done, but the housings will need to be fabricated.

However, most local laws prohibit headlights from being a certain height above the ground(no lower than 18" as an example).

There isn't a set of 6054's on the planet that will control the output from drop-in HID "kits". You will have extreme hot spots and massive glare, which shoots the lighting upward and not on the road where it should be. Legality and on-coming driver safety aside, they're just a piss poor way of going about it. Sure, it'll be WAY brighter, just in all the wrong areas.

Use projectors designed for HID's and retrofit them into the 6054 housings. There are 6054 housings with HID's installed already, but the length of the projector makes the front cover bubble outward, which might contact the header panel area during opening/closing. I haven't tried those, as they're $1000 and you can piece together much better quality OEM HID components for much much less.

May not be a kit on the planet, but a Hella e-code does a good job of providing a nice cut off. I run them and I am very happy with the results with a stock h4 bulb.

The Cheap ebay housings like the one above are not worth your money. Get a glass lens Hella e-code or Cibi 6054 unit.

I agree with plastic lenses...for the most part. I am running HID's in my 08 Tundra in both headlights and fog lights. Same as My Sierra, and my intrepid. They are all plastic lenses. Actually, the only vehicle I have seen come back to our shop (custom performance/stereo)was the Gmc Envoys fogs. They actually melted the lenses...It wasn't pretty.. We have put HID's in almost every application out there, even Ebay specials for Civics and crap, with no issues.

You are correct in saying that they are illegal without a DOT projector lens (thanks to the 03' Acura TL), but I have never been messed with by police in any state. I drive from FL-PA quite often. Not to say there not annoying or bright to on coming traffic...I know they are. I wouldn't worry to much about the housings, and for $34.00, Its not a bank breaker if they do melt..That is if you choose to run HID's.

The lens in the kit I posted above is actually glass, and the plastic housing is made to withstand the heat of the newer 12V bulbs. :)

Edited by Polcat87

May not be a kit on the planet, but a Hella e-code does a good job of providing a nice cut off. I run them and I am very happy with the results with a stock h4 bulb.

No doubt, yet the key phrase there is why they work well. Even E-codes fail miserably when you introduce HID to them.