HELP!! Blowing fuse instantly, dont know why

315 Customs

So the first fuse on the right column of the dash fuse box start blowing on me yesterday. It blows instantly when I put a new one in. Its the #8 fuse and says Antenna on the fuse cover, however it also controls the power windows and locks so I can not roll down my windows which SUCKS!!!!!

I tried unplugging the antenna box in the trunk to see if that helps (since my antenna doesnt work anyway) but no luck. Any ideas where I can start tracking this problem down?? I got rid of my other vehicle so this is all I have to drive right now.

My room fuse kept blowing (forgot which number) because my old arse radio somehow shorted out when I hit hard bumps. I had no powerlocks, no interior lights, but my windows still worked.

Try unplugging your radio, that worked for me.

-Robert

Edited by Komeuppance

My room fuse kept blowing (forgot which number) because my old arse radio somehow shorted out when I hit hard bumps. I had no powerlocks, no interior lights, but my windows still worked.

Try unplugging your radio, that worked for me.

-Robert

Thanks for the reply Robert. Yea the room fuse is directly across from the antenna fuse. I had thought it was my radio as well but I disconnected power completely from the radio and it still blew the fuse instantly.

It bugs me because I havent changed anything in a while on the car and this problem just started.

If it helps, yesterday when this problem started it wouldnt blow fuse instantly. I went out to my car yesterday morning and had no power windows. I discovered the blown fuse and replaced it. The windows worked great until I shut the car off. When I went back to the car again and started it back up, the fuse had blown again. It continued like this the rest of the day. Today it now blows the fuses instantly. ughhhhhhhh

I've had fuses blow on me and my power windows not worked for a while, then again I have wires tapped into a few fuses for the system, toggle switch to A/C compressor.. It might have been a power wire somewhere around the engine bay touching ground but I can't really remember what was causing the issue..

The number 8 fuse controls the power antenna, the central door lock, power window relay and the alarm buzzer. You probably will have to trouble shoot each circuit to find your problem. If you don't have a factory service manual, go to this site and click on 'service manuals':

http://www.starquestgarage.com/

Click on the appropriate year for your starquest and go to the chapter that covers electrical systems. The 88 manual covers most of the issues for 87 thru 89.

Send mikec a PM. Be as specific as you can and give him the year of your starquest. I'm sure as soon as he sees your post, he'll reply with some recommendations.

yeah, you pretty much have to unhook all the motors and electronics on that curcuit, and start plugging them back in until the fuse pops.

Then you'll know which item is bad. However, that deosn't necessarily mean that it is bad. It could be as simple as the power wire leading to that item is pinched and grounded somewhere between the fuse box and that item.