SBC Gurus!

Dave-O

As of late I've been considering GM's LM7 V8 [5300 Vortec in 1500 Silverados, Suburbans, Tahoes, Yukons, etc.] as a swap candidate. This thought has only been increased after seeing a friends' LS1/T56 swapped FC Rx7 at a local drift event - he tells me he spent $3000 on the engine, and another $1000 on the trans. I think that's entirely too much to go LSx.

I've also been considering a V8 into the Starion - with that, I'm keeping it budget-minded, and will stick to a stock longblock. It seems that I can find an LM7 for well under $700 used and in good shape, but I don't want to spend the cash on a T56, it's just too much transmission for what I want to do.

I've been told the Gen III V8s share the same bellhousing pattern as almost every small-block Chevy in existence, is that true?

What transmission options do I have, that may be readily available in a junkyard? Would T5s from Third-Gen F-body Camaros/Trans Ams be a decent candidate? Maybe even a Super-T10 or a Muncie?

A 4- or 5-speed trans would be fine with me, as the car will not be primarily street-driven [but lots of road course/autocross/drifting], and will have a rather low final drive. Figured I'd ask some of you fellas that are more in-the-know than I am. Thanks in advance fellas.

I would have to say that a t5 would be the best option due to shifter location. As for the will it bolt to the 5.3l yes. But I don't know about getting a flywheel. To my knowledge gm never put a manual behind the 5.3l. But I maybe wrong. I was thinking about putting the 5.7 vortec and a t5 in my quest.

I wouldn't trust a T-5 for a track car. I used to beat a z-28 on the street. I went through 3 including 1 fully redone world class. A super T-10 Would be a better choice I think. The shifter is not part of the case giving you more options for mounting location. You can use flywheel for an 87 and newer v8(one piece rear main)exept 454(differnt balance). You should also use a SFI steel bellhousing(If you like your feet).

Just my 5.7 cents (or 5.3 as the case may be) << Poet!

Edited by v8starion

I wouldn't trust a T-5 for a track car. I used to beat a z-28 on the street. I went through 3 including 1 fully redone world class. A super T-10 Would be a better choice I think. The shifter is not part of the case giving you more options for mounting location. You can use flywheel for an 87 and newer v8(one piece rear main)exept 454(differnt balance). You should also use a SFI steel bellhousing(If you like your feet).

Just my 5.7 cents (or 5.3 as the case may be) << Poet!

Good info. I've heard from a few people that the T5 wouldn't last long even behind a stock 5.3. I got to talking with a V8 buddy of mine at a local junkyard today, who has 3 LM7s on the shelf for $600 - he says with aluminum LQ4 [6.0?] heads and an LS1 cam, stock internals and a T04, there's enough headroom for 550+whp. He also said he's got everything but the turbo hardware in stock for less than $800. :D

I don't want to bite into a T56, as from what I've read there's a good amount of cutting and banging to get one to fit in our manual-trans tunnels, and that's extra weight I don't need.

Where should I look for a Super T-10? No local yards have one, and I'm wary of asking a transmission shop to order a new/rebuilt one. Also what clutch and flywheel would I have to use for an S/T-10 behind an LSx engine?