Engine bucks and surges over 4.5k rpm...

funbunion

I have a Dec. of 86 ESI. I rebuilt the engine in my garage last summer and it ran perfect, and I mean perfect. I've done every "free" mod I can, ported and polished intake and exhaust, new injectors+clips (3 years ago), rebuilt throttle body, new air cleaner(K+N), new intake boot from maf to turbo, new vacuum advance, new plugs, wires, rotor button and cap, new bonding wires, new vacuum lines throughout engine compartment.

All that said, here's the story...

I bought a 16g from ebay a couple years ago before I rebuilt my engine. Due to many series of events, I only put a thousand miles or so on this "new" turbo before I disintegrated my #3 piston during an accidental over boost. I put another thousand miles on the 16g on the engine break in before it burned up(the turbo, not the engine). Long story short, I changed back over to my stock turbo, and now the engine bucks and surges over 4500rpm, but I have plenty of power between bucks. The old turbo always worked perfectly, and was only a few years old when I replaced it.

Could it have something to do with the port and polish?

Could it be vacuum?

Am I a moron? Blind?

sounds like the 86 fuel cut,,or air mass over run due to boost and air volume being more then the system was design'd for

or a pressure relate'd air leak in the ic or hoses to or from it

Would a Dec. of 86 not make it an 87?

What gap you running on your plugs? Try going smaller on your gap. You shouldent need to with only 8psi but it wont hurt to try.

Edited by Hoosierquest

when I was having the same neck jerking fuel cut at 4500 rpm in my 88 it was the return line that was partially clogged. The va causes the same issue but at a lower rpm, like around 3500. I blew out the return line with 120 psi from the compressor and it clogged up at first, then shot a bunch of crud out.

air volume with a 12a @ 8 lbs is diff from that of a 16g @8 lbs

air mass reads air volume ;)

I see. Sorry, I'm kind of a moron :)

Do you think if I replace the 12a with a 16g it would solve this? Think the turbo is too tired and old?

Would a Dec. of 86 not make it an 87?

What gap you running on your plugs? Try going smaller on your gap. You shouldent need to with only 8psi but it wont hurt to try.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Yeah, it's an 87, and I'm a nerd :rolleye0018:

• 2 weeks later...