Engine Cooling Quest.

shae201

My quest is running about halfway on interstate and between halfway and hot during idle at stoplights. Does it need to run that way factory or should I upgrade the fans and radiator to drop the temp a little and if so what kind of cooling system should I get? I've already had my radiator flushed and put a temp switch on my fans and have a 170 degree thermstat

All 3 fans kicking on? Are you running a/c?

No these cars are NEVER supposed to reach above half mark. With my two front fans running and not using a/c...in 100 degree weather it only sometimes touches halfway.

Better hope nothing is broke...If your radiator is flushed and you have made sure your fans are running then i dont see how its overheating

That's too hot if the guage is accurate. You need all 3 fans or as an upgrade, a mech fan setup. If your fans are working correctly however, you have another problem somewhere that needs to be addressed. A radiator that has had 22 years and several gallons of tap water put in it (more than likely) flushed or not, is probably the issue.

Wiring 3 fans together is not an upgrade... it's a bandaid by owners that can't or won't fix their cooling system properly.

Those flushes that you buy and run the engine for a bit and then drain it out doesn't do crap. It may loosen up some of the minor gunk, but the major stuff that's actually effecting the cooling system gets hard like cement. You need to look into getting the radiator rodded or replaced.

Another issue I see crop up more often than people realize is that all the gunk that's clogging up your radiator also settles into the cooling passages on the block. Only way to really get that stuff out is to have the block hot tanked, and then before reassembly turn the block upside down and tap the sides with a hammer. You'll see a huge pile of crap on the floor after some hits.

The block issue is on the extreme end. Usually if the radiator is up to par, then it can compensate for the reduced flow in the block.

As for the thermostat, there is a point in the automotive world that just like being too hot, being too cold can be an issue as well. Things are designed to work within a set operating range.

The real point that I'm trying to make though, is throwing in a lower thermostat and wiring the fans together is a hack way to go about things. Doing the job right isn't difficult, and most likely results in saving you money in the long run.

I recently pulled my old radiator apart and can I tell you there was so much stop leak in there half the jackets were totally sealed off. Those that werent sealed off had chunks of silicone in them. Its amazing how much accumulates over 20 years. I'd get some pix but they would scare you.

i have a stock radiator, clutch fan and shroud and a 160 thersmostat, my car never gets above a 1/4 on the temp gauge no matter how hot it is, how hard i run it, or how long it sits at idle. if your going above 1/2 on the gauge then you have a problem somewhere.

I'm with Ernie totally on this one. I chased a realtively minor gremlin heat situation for a long time (while my car ran nice and cool when it was new) and finally broke down for a new rad. Problem solved. Wiring all fans together draws more current than you want to every time the low temp sensor closes. A new or rodded rad and a mechanical fan is not a bad way to go.