Automatic Shifter Bushing Install

AzStar

After reading the other posts on this subject I took down they shift linkage on my Automatic 89 Fiji.

The center shaft (whatever it is called) bushings were shot. When I pulled it apart there was essentially dust that fell out.

Using the measurements harvested from other posts here I got some bronze bushings 1/2 ID 3/4 OD at ACE Hardware.

The 3/4 OD doesn't fit real tight but tight enough. Trimmed them for length, cleaned up all the brackets etc., greased and installed them. Now I don't have to row until I hit a gear it works like a gear selector should.

Now to figure out why it doesn't seem to have a "kick down" for passing. The switch on the throttle is there but I haven't delved into reading how to test it.

Thanks to those that posted up how they fixed their linkage. Worked very well for me.

AZ any pics of these? thanx ;)

I didn't take any pictures of the linkage when I had it apart... but here is a picture of the bushing that I got from ACE that I didn't use.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd268/S...i19jul09006.jpg

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd268/S...i19jul09007.jpg

You will need 1.5 of these to do the frame braket side and less than .5 to make the bushing for the bracket that bolts to the transmission. For the bracket that bolts to the transmission you install the bushing between the two snap rings on the linkage shaft. On the frame bracket you just stuff them in there and then put the rubber boot over it and insert the linkage shaft.

These bushings cost about $3.00 each.

post-530-1248143147_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

After reading the other posts on this subject I took down they shift linkage on my Automatic 89 Fiji.

The center shaft (whatever it is called) bushings were shot. When I pulled it apart there was essentially dust that fell out.

Using the measurements harvested from other posts here I got some bronze bushings 1/2 ID 3/4 OD at ACE Hardware.

The 3/4 OD doesn't fit real tight but tight enough. Trimmed them for length, cleaned up all the brackets etc., greased and installed them. Now I don't have to row until I hit a gear it works like a gear selector should.

Now to figure out why it doesn't seem to have a "kick down" for passing. The switch on the throttle is there but I haven't delved into reading how to test it.

Thanks to those that posted up how they fixed their linkage. Worked very well for me.

I also want to thank those who have shared this information. I probably took the long approach because (as a newbie) I am still learning my way around this forum and wasn't aware of this topic until I went to post my experience.

My findings were exactly the same as above. The shifter linkage was ssssooooo bad that I would find the vehicle out of park and rolling down my driveway because the slop often prohibitied full engagement. That was the last straw.

This past weekend I decided to tackle the project with the weather being so nice. The method and materials I used were:

After disassembly that I took 3 new (spare) sway bar bushings and turned them down to the 3/4" using a drill and belt sander. Once I got the OD just right I drilled the center hole out to the 1/2" opening. I was actually able to slide two of them into the end cap bushing support (mounts to the body)

Using the same bushings and after slimming the centershaft bushing to 1/2" for the bushing support that mounts to trans, I was able to slide it on and between the two retaining clips.

The shifter works prefectly at this time, no more missed gears, no more positioning in nuetral to start, etc. Works great. I did use good lubricant when I reassembled however, I did notice that the dust covers were also loose on the shaft. This may require attention in the future but, I'm going to see how long these hold up for me.

I really appreciate the experiences shared here and hope to share more of my experiences as I go forward. GREAT FORUM HERE!!

Edited by Quest 41