electrical problem maybe?

Fiji_88TSi

I was just driving my quest and it has been running great, everything working and running smoothly, when all of a sudden I notice my speedometer stopped working. I haven't tested everything, but the only other thing that is different is that even with the key out of the ignition, I can roll up my windows. Anyone have any ideas? It's an '88 with 1g mas, otherwise no mods. Edited by Fiji_88TSi

How does that explain being able to roll my windows up without the key in the ignition? I just made sure everything was functioning earlier today(lights/electrical, gauges, etc), so that means that both of these started within the last three hours! This makes me assume that they are related. Maybe just coincidence?

It's like having a tail light go out and getting a flat tire. Totally unrelated.

The speedo is cable driven. Nothing electrical to it. It's likely the cable has broken inside the sheath, or pulled loose from the back of the cluster.

Do your windows work without the key now anytime you try them? They're supposed to work for a minute or so after you shut the car off, key in or not, as long as you don't open the doors.