Busted piston

mark458

Time to pull it apart. I would start with removing that piston and rod assembly to see why it broke. I suspect it has seen some serious detonation and that the others are bad too. I would plan for a complete bottom end rebuild at the least, and a full long block rebuild if needed.

Time to pull it apart. I would start with removing that piston and rod assembly to see why it broke. I suspect it has seen some serious detonation and that the others are bad too. I would plan for a complete bottom end rebuild at the least, and a full long block rebuild if needed.

I agree with Tim.

The car sat for a couple of years and I got in it and cranked it up. Let the oil flow around for about 30 minites and tried to drive it. I put it in drive and pushed on the gas, it didnt move just kinda squated alittle so I push about half way on the gas.... it just squated more. Then I floored itit squated way down and the turbo started to spool, 2...3...4psi and then thats all she wrote. I thought the bake brakes had locked so we got a truck and pulled it out from where it was. Edited by mark458

What makes you think that happened? Is that all you've done so far you've not pulled the head to see a busted piston? Maybe it just backfired and died. Will it not crank over? Could the balance shaft chain have broken? Could a valve have been sticking and it broke off and jambed into the piston dome and locked it up? I can't see any detonation at that low of rpms. Is this an automatic car?

What makes you think that happened? Is that all you've done so far you've not pulled the head to see a busted piston? Maybe it just backfired and died. Will it not crank over? Could the balance shaft chain have broken? Could a valve have been sticking and it broke off and jambed into the piston dome and locked it up? I can't see any detonation at that low of rpms. Is this an automatic car?

Yes, I doubt it detonated at that time. It sounds to me like it had major detonation damage from before. He said it shattered a piston, so I assume he got it apart enough to see that?

Pulled the oil pan and there was quite a bit of metal in it. It also would not start no matter what after that.

My bare minimum rebuild for performance would be to go with forged pistons, lightened rods, everything balanced. Do at least a valve job and new hd valvesprings on the head.