turbo replacement/ recommendations

87 BLACK TSI

My exhaust stock manifold is cracked and the turbo has a small amount of end play. 63k miles, will get some slight modifications at a later date. My turbo knowledge is limited and I would like some advice.

Would you replace the manifold with a t3/t4 maniflod and turbo or replace it with stock equipment. I would like some more power but do not want to get into the fuel system and bottom end issues.

Is t3/t4 a good way to proceed? Recommendations?

Yes, the T3/T4 is a good direction but it will be more expensive and more than your fuel system can support, given that you run the turbo in it's efficeincy range of 15 PSI minimum.

You can run it at 10, no problem, but even that really needs an upgrade pump and adjustable baseline FPR.

In any event you need to have the monitoring systems in place before you do anything. At least a 3 wire O2 sensor and a good AFR meter, and a fuel pressure gauge visible while driving. Those are the minimum you need in order to have a general idea that things are well enough to boost at the given level.

I would say the T3 flange manifold is a good direction to go with if you are going to continue the performance mods to at least run 14 lbs of boost. Otherwise, you can save a little money and go with a stock exhaust manifold and a 16G or 17C turbo. That is a better match for what you have now.

The ultimate exhaust manifold and turbo choice for your current set-up would be to get Chad's header and the T3T4 turbo. I'm not a turbo expert, but that turbo is known to work very well with our engine. Even if you only run 10Lbs of boost, it is a good turbo. It just runs more efficiently from 15 lbs.