o2 sensors

Starionblk

i have recently bought an after market down pipe and my stock o2 sensor will not work for it for which the pipe has a thread in bung and i know you can hook a wide band up and i was wondering what kind of o2 sensor to buy and where i could get that and a wide band to upgrade

Thanks

Manley

i have recently bought an after market down pipe and my stock o2 sensor will not work for it for which the pipe has a thread in bung and i know you can hook a wide band up and i was wondering what kind of o2 sensor to buy and where i could get that and a wide band to upgrade

Thanks

Manley

Call National Speed in Wilmington, NC ask to speak to Jordan. Tell him that you need a Aem Uego wideband and that Shawn Moore (88shpquest) from INC sent you. He will understand what that means. I cant promise you a price but they pretty much have the lowest prices around

a wideband O2 isnt really going to do you much good on a stock ecu. You need a wide band converter, its not a simple sensor that will plug into your ecu. a WB uses 6 wires and its operation is different from a standard O2.

If all you need is an 02 sensor just go buy a replacement one for your car. the Bosch ones come with the $15 standard o2 sensor that threads into the bung and a $20 adapter plate that bolts onto the stock downpipe:) If you just get a singlewire 02 for another car you will be fine. You can also upgrade to a heated o2 sensor that will just need power, ground and your signal wire back to the ecu.

are you running the stock ecu for fuel or something else?

A single wire or heated o2 reads voltage, the amount of oxygen content. There is a chemical reaction that creates a voltage. .45v or 450mV is stoich. Stock ecu(and AF gauges) read from 0-1v. 1v rich, 0v lean. A sensors accuracy depends on several things. a single wire O2 can cool down during cruising so the heated 02(3 or 4wire) was introduced.

A wideband works on a different premise. Instead of monitoring it actually tries to create this reaction and keep everything at .45v. The amount of current pumped into the sensor to do this is closely monitored. Instead of a sample rate with a single wire O2, the Wideband is constantly monitored so there is no lag.

Wires:

1 & 2: negative & positive for the heater (controlled by negative)

3: ground

4: pump

5: narrow sensor

6: calibration resistor (located in the sensor)

There are DIY WB converters out there. www.diyautotune.com has one i think. You need to relate the signal back to something the stock ecu can use. If you are running an aftermarket ecu, some have wideband inputs and you will be good to go.

Many wideband controllers (which come with the sensor) have a narrow band output which would be better to use with the stock ecu than a real narrow band sensor.

I agree with that. Do you think there is really any benefit though to using a WB O2 on a stock ecu? You will still have issues with the stock manifold and fuel distribution between 1-4 and 2-3. I think a WB O2 is great for an aftermarket ecu or as a tuning aid but i dont see a huge benefit in spending $200-$500 on a WB setup to run stock injectors/manifold. Maybe im wrong though, just my feeling on the subject.

this topic should show you what you need to know about your 02 sensor. and a sourse to pic one up if you need one, contact info should be listed.

http://starquest.i-x.net/viewtopic.php?t=9...asc&start=0

this pic was taken from that topic. if your 02 sensor looks like the STOCK one pictured above the new BOSCH one then you actually have a 87 02 sensor, the 88-89 sensors were like the bosch where it screwed into the plate. this is the BEST 02 sensor to use on the STOCK computer.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e82/silverquest/PQ%20manual%20pics/EX-55.jpg

unless your running a monster turbo and making big horsepower where LEANING out would be a problem i would not waste $300 on a wideband 02 sensor.

note to everyone advance auto parts and autozone are complete morons so get the number on that box 12031 write it down and take it with you or you wont get the adaptor plate spent 2 days going around in circles with them trying to explain it to them.

he doesnt need the adapter plate though. His aftermarket downpipe just had the bung. The sensor isnt anything special. part number 11027 is a universal O2 from advance auto. Its a Bosch unit and its what comes with the $35 deal, just without the adapter plate.

Also for anyone replacing their O2 on the stock downpipe. If you buy the one with the adapter plate once, you dont need to buy it again, just get the universal sensor.

i know i'm just saying if you ask for these cars that part number wont even come up in there system tried from 83 to 89 starion and 84 to 89 conquest but that part number never came up. put the part number is in the system on the web. also if you run that part number it says it wont fit are cars be i know different.

wait a minute.... you work at advanced auto parts....and have a post on where to buy a 02 sensor. ummm maybe try AUTOZONE..... :biglaugha:

how does VISA say that again......PRICELESS.

Edited by cyberquest

i never looked them up for it before and was trying to see about putting a wideband on it as in where to buy a wideband and questions about it read the post more carefully i had questions about a wideband and stuff and then someone told me to just get this and then i see that we have one autozone sucks a** not even cool