motor not turning over

kmh_6905

ok, bougth the car, the guy said it was just a head gasket, he also told my friend when i was picking it up, it stoped working on him. so when i try to crank it over, all i get is the starter noise. now when i look at the front of the car to the crank pully and try 2 start it, it dosent move <- keep that in mind. ok i took off the trany cover so u can see the (flywheel) and my car is and automatic. when i crank it over again i see the flywheel move but still not the crank dosent move. when i move the crank with my ratchit the flywheel DOSE move.

NOTE: im doing everything by myself as well.

im still tyring 2 figuir out if i have spark and fuel also. havent gotten that far but the crank should move also with out spark and fuel. IF ANYONE HAS AN IDEA OF WHATS WRONG PLEASE CALL ME ASAP BC IM WORKING ON IT NOW. its about 5:10pm in ausitn tx when i wrote this. my number is 512-785-7153 my name is kevin thanks

word of advice if at any time you ever have the crank not turn with the convertor plate,,, stop,,you have a problem,, things just do not break apart and them fix them selves ,,and do all turning by hand useing the starter will only make matters worse

if your turning the engine clockwise and it stops but you can back it up,,,that means some thing is way out of place,,, useing the starter with it's extra power will only cause more damage

I suppose its possible that the keyway for the crank pulley has sheered off or isn't there and it just has the bolt holding it on? If that has happened and it did sheer off the crank pulley you have a ruined crank I'd guess but I haven't ever seen that happen. I was going to say the chains are tangled up and the crank can't turn and yes the flex plate is busted. If there is no spark that may mean the distributor isn't turning either. Take the valve cover off and see if the cam turns or just remove the distributor cap and watch the rotor. See if you can look down in front of the cam gear and see any pieces laying in the way. There is a small cover on the front of the timing cover that is about 2" side and it has two small bolts holding it on, remove that cover and look in the hole and see if right there is a chain guide and if there is a chain laying against it. If you see no chain and guide it has a BSEK in it or the chain has ripped the guide out of the way and broken both. As it cranks over, watch the oil pressure gauge....does oil pressure build up in no more than 60 seconds? If you get no oil pressure the chain for the oil pump may be broken.

ok last night what me and a friend did was hold the flywheel in place and turned the crank, wel when we did that we found out the torqe converter isnt doing its job. i need a new coverter now

Is the torque convertor turning, meaning is it still bolted to the flex plate? If its still bolted on then its not a convertor, its likely a dead tranny its burned up and has no lining left on the band or the valve body is clogged up. Is the tranny cooler mashed? Its up in the front on the passenger side behind the air dam. If its mashed badly you get no flow and no cooling and it burns the tranny up. Factory service manual will show you and may point you in the right direction.

What year is it? 84/85/86/87 flatty or an 88/89 wide? So you got the motor running I take it since you think the torque convertor is bad? Is the linkage moving under the car when you move the shifter? There are bushings in the linkage that rot and fall out and the gear selector in the car won't necessarily be what mode the tranny is in.

Edited by Indiana

Is the torque convertor turning, meaning is it still bolted to the flex plate? If its still bolted on then its not a convertor, its likely a dead tranny its burned up and has no lining left on the band or the valve body is clogged up. Is the tranny cooler mashed? Its up in the front on the passenger side behind the air dam. If its mashed badly you get no flow and no cooling and it burns the tranny up. Factory service manual will show you and may point you in the right direction.

What year is it? 84/85/86/87 flatty or an 88/89 wide? So you got the motor running I take it since you think the torque convertor is bad? Is the linkage moving under the car when you move the shifter? There are bushings in the linkage that rot and fall out and the gear selector in the car won't necessarily be what mode the tranny is in.

ok the bottom of the tranny cooler is a little smashed but not much, i dosent start at all yet. i did see some tranny fluid on the outer casing when i was looking under the car. its an 88 wide body. its an auto so there shouldnt b linkage right? i cant c the torque coverter move, only the flexplate but if we hold the flexpate still by force and move the crank, something behind it is moving

You can speculate until the cows come home, but you won't know anything for certain until you take some things apart. Sounds like the tranny needs to come out first. And yes there is linkage, and wiring, and a cable.

when i crank it over again i see the flywheel move but still not the crank dosent move. when i move the crank with my ratchit the flywheel DOSE move.

This does make it sound like no key in the crank or broken crank. Becuase he is useing the bolt to turn it.

i cant c the torque coverter move, only the flexplate but if we hold the flexpate still by force and move the crank, something behind it is moving

But if the flywheel is not turning how could the converter turn? even if all the bolts were out. The flywheel would turn but the converter would not. If the flexplate was broken it would sound awful and I hope be abvious. If the starter is lined up on the ring and not grinding when you turn the key I would think the problem is on the other end of the crank. Is the distrib and/or cam turning as Indy asked. If so are the pistons coming up? pull the plags. The end of a long ziptie(dont use anything that will scratch the motor up) in the sparkplug hole and see if they come up by turning the crank with your rachet. All four. 1 and 4 will come up at the same time so check the both then 2 and 3 at the same time. see what you get.