Heron's 3" exhaust.....

questron

My verdict is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

It has been a LONG time coming.  I purchased this back when I was driveing the red 87 flatty(which was over 1 year ago).  After having major engine troubles with that car...I never EVER got to put it on the car to try it out.  I leant it to Smog until I could get my car running or get another starquest....well, I know have the 88 SHP and after 2 weeks, I now have my 3" exhaust on it.

It is AMAZING the power difference between the stock and the 3"...just WOW.  The car had a stumble...in the lower RPM Range while depressing the gas peddle to accelorate lightly.  Also it would kinda jerk when boost came in and it was like the engine was reacting slowly to my imputs...  It must have been the o-2 sensor...I swear...with the new 3 wire...it has NO jerkyness and absolutely NO stumble or stutter(It has new injector clips and good injectors...I tested them...).  I'm SO happy with the way this car is turning out so far.  

Next Mods...1G MAS with AHP, Aluminum Radiator...new rear tires..haha...and I am hopefully in the works with some camber plates(Fronts only).  

Overall...this exhaust is awesome...it fits nice and tight under the car, 3" in and out magnaflow muffler is a nice deep tone...but still loud enough for me(any louder and it would be to loud IMO).  I'll ahve pics up here in a couple seconds(have to put new batteries in the camera).

Any comments or questions...feel free to post.

Ron

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-11/898615/DCP_0236.JPG

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-11/898615/DCP_0237.JPG

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-11/898615/DCP_0238.JPG

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-11/898615/DCP_0239.JPG

How much for the whole kaboodle?  Muffler is seperate of course.  I like my 2.5 Magnaflow so far.  Have to complete my dp to the catback tho.  Working on that now.

It's not too loud in the cabin under normal cruise?  Tom's Heron ex. sounded nice.  *DM is a bit loud IMO, and hangs real low to the ground. :-/

Is there a link to the sale of this?

-Matt

Yikes!! :o  The muffler and cat would be $150-200 tops, so that's still quite a bit for the piping.  Does that include the downpipe?

Kelly's is way cheaper around 300 plus muff & cat.   Hangs low, but could be modded a bit to fit better from what I hear.  hmm.  stay 2.5 it is.  ha

You get what you pay for tho.

Downpipe is included, and from my math, is about what you would pay for Kelly's system if you had a hi-flow cat, muffler, and flex pipe welded into the downpipe...it came out to be just about equal.  

I've seen Kelly's system on Kawika's car and it is very nice as well, I just liked Heron's better, although...thats just my opinion and I haven't had any experience with it on my car.

Heron also sells the pipes without the muffler and cat for $380 I believe....so....it is still more expensive than kelly's, but it's really not that much more in the long run.

Good, that sounds much better then.  Definately puts it in check.  I'm sure I could track down some cat and muff deals much cheaper on this new "internet thing". ;)

Gonna finish the 2.5 first, then maybe if I do this 3", I could compare dyno #s.  Does anybody have these comparison #s already?  Full HKS 2.5 vs. Heron's 3"?

Sold me on Heron's in the future regardless after riding in Tom's.  Sounded great.

• 2 weeks later...

it is true though, you get what you pay for.

i have the *DM and it's nice, when i bought it, i thought i was getting stainless steel, turns out to be aluminized.

heron has the option to get full stainless, that's sweet.  plus it comes with flex. and the tip is situated in the cut-out rather than below and to the left.

but the *DM is no joke when it comes to adding power.

• 4 weeks later...

I may have not been fair to *DM's since the noisier one I heard was with a noisy muffler.

I wouldn't really expect much sound difference b/t *DMs and Herons.  They're only pipes right?  Any truth to this?  (just curious)

-Matt

IMHO flex pipe helps the droning.  I have a 2.5 inch now and the vibration of the motor gets dampened when you have a flex (wont vibrate the whole exhaust..)  I actually had to have my exhaust shop fix one of my hangers that cracked (bad weld but vibration took it out too)

• 3 weeks later...