Starion Tranny Help - bolt up to large 4G64?

Hey guys, maybe somebody here can answer this question...

Ok, we all know that Starion trannies don't directly bolt up to 4G63's because the Starion transmission bolt pattern is larger.  But, what about the larger bolt patterned 4G64's out of trucks and Montero Sports?

Will a Starion tranny bolt up to the large transmission pattern 4G64?

• 2 weeks later...

There are two different bolt patterns for 4G64's.

You have the car version, which is a small pattern, like 4G63's.

And then you have the truck version, which is bigger, more like the Starion.

Now, these numbers aren't exact, but the 4G63 is about 11.5" or so across the bottom bolts, while the truck version is about 13" or so (give or take, it's hard to measure with the tranny and engine still in the car and I can't remember the exact numbers I came up with, but those above numbers are pretty close)

ok, this is what I know........ my bellhousing off the toyota had to be modified to fit the 4G63, I took the factory toyota bellhousing and compared it to a starion bellhousing, and it's the EXACT same bolt pattern. which means the bolt pattern is too wide to fit on a 4G63, in order for this supposed truck tranny to fit, it would have to have a narrower bolt pattern. there are people who claim it works, and even go so far as to claim they have done it, but i have yet to see any proof, and my e-mail is flooded daily with people claiming to have done a swap already, or planning to. ::)

Actually, what I'm proposing isn't a 4G63 swap.  It's a 4G64 block swap using a 4G63 cylinder head (just like my 4G64/4G63 hybrid engine for 2G DSM's)

I already know the 4G63 can be bolted onto a 4G64 bottom end.  If you could use a 4G64 bottom end with it's RWD tranny, you would have a 2.4L DOHC turbocharged engine (see my website for more info).

The advantages are pretty clear:  more torque, no transmission modifications, same DSM HP and all modifications for a 4G63 would bolt on/in.

The 4g64 and the 4g63 are 2.0L right?  I have a ram-50 with the g54b.  I have the motor stripped ready to pull.  Lemme know if I can help with measurements or any thing.  I believe i have read somewhere that the 2.0 and 2.6 truck trannies are completly different in every aspect but ya never know.

Kane

The 2.0L truck has the same bolt pattern as the 2.0L car.  I believe the G54B is a 2.4L and the G63B is a 2.0L.  I don't know for sure if the G54B shares the same bolt pattern as the 2.4L 4g64 from the truck/Montero Sport.

If you can, please measure anything and everything!! I'd love to find out if this will work.

g54b is the 2.6L.  Non turbo version of the conquest motor.  Same everything except pistons.  Even the cams are the same.  My truck is an 88 model if that helps any.

Actually, there are quite a few differences between turbo and non-turbo G54B's.  The lower end is a lot stronger, plus oil-squirters in the block.  

I don't think mine is original then cause it has no oil squirters.  no tellin what it came out of cause the distributor in it is points and the original electronic one is in the bed.  HMMM might have to take some casting numbers to the mitsu/dodge dealer. ???

Kane

LOL, well...difficulty is my middle name I suppose.

I'm kind of afraid that the Toyota trannies may be too short (although, I'm pretty tired from a heavy ride this morning - got up at 5:20am to go pedal in the dirt, go figure).

But, the main thing is cost.  That'd be basically another $400 (+ tranny) that I could use doing something else...and if the 4G64 already has a RWD tranny bolted up to it...then that would simplify things greatly.

well, I believe the $400.00 cost is offset greatly by the use of a factory 4G63 type pressure plate, 4G63 flywheel, and common parts everywhere else. the cheap transmisions and abundance of them is also a plus, because you won't be sitting for three weeks looking for someone with a spare for sale if you bust one, then at their mercy as far as price... I get them for $150-$200 all day every day in stock out the door. if someone else has a better supply of trannies that bolts up without problems I'd like to hear about it. I didnt have to modify anything with my bellhousing, just bolt everything together. that's VERY nice, especially in such a strange application.

Mike K: that is exactly what I am saying. the only thing of consideration then is flywheel/starter mounting, also the toyota trannies use a pilot bearing, so flywheel (whichever you use) would have to be machined to accept a pilot bearing. most machine shops will charge like 30 bucks to punch the hole though.

you use a toyota 225mm clutch disc, with whichever flywheel/pressure plate setup you go with.

I use a 4G63 pressure plate and flywheel/starter with a toyota 225mm disc. the easiest way would be to get a bellhousing, and modify the starter location to use stock starion starter with starion flywheel. the 225mm clutch setup. then you would be all set.

the toyota slave cylinder works fine with the starion master (that's exactly what I am using with a 2600 lb. pressure plate)

you then make a clutch line ($6.00 at discount auto parts)

the tranny yoke was the only thing that gave me problems, since the toyota yoke was of the whimpy variety. I found a spicer yoke from a GM vehicle that fits the toyota tranny though, the part number for it is on my site. you also require a custom driveshaft, which was of little consequence to me since everything in the car was custom fabricated basically.

also worthy of noting is that the starion speedo cable plugs into and works with the toyota tranny.  ;D and there are different speedo gears available from toyota to calibrate the speedo.

everything about the W- series trannies is modular, the only differences were gearing.

all w series transmissions work with other w-series bellhousings.

lol

toyota W-series bellhousing= same bolt pattern as starion tranny

4G63 bellhousing = no other bolt on that I know of besides this coveted truck tranny, which leads me to question it's valid use as a replacement, since no one seems to have them, so if you need a replacement you'll be looking for the veritable needle in the hay stack. :P

;)

You're thinking of the truck 2.0L tranny, not the truck 4G64/Montero Sport tranny.  The 2.0L truck tranny will bolt up to a 4G63 or a car 4G64, but it won't bolt up to a truck/Montero Sport/Expo 4G64.

If I find that you can use a Starion tranny coupled with a 4G64 (big bolt pattern) then Starion owners will be able to do a 4G64 swap much easier than the 4G63 swap, since they'll be able to use their own trannies, if they so desire.  Also, since the W series trannies share the same bolt patterns as the Starion, if I'm correct, then there would be alot less work involved in modifying the Toyota tranny to use with a 4G64 also.

Are Starion trannies that difficult to find also?

I have seen no less than 4 starions in florida the entire time I have been here, and I have lived here for 20+ years. mighty max trucks are just as rare, and the only monteros around are the brand new ones.  maybe there are abundant stockpiles of parts for them somewhere, but I haven't found that place yet, someone let me know if you do.