has anyone looked at the 94-98+ 2.4 galants?

That's where it's at bro..  The 4G64(2.4L) is a direct relative to the 4G63. The 4G63's DOHC head fits on the 4G64. As you obviously already know, the 2.4L came with a DOHC in 95 ONLY, in the GALANT GS. 160hp/160tq N/A... While the SOHC N/A 2.4 made 141hp/148tq.....   As far as the DOHC head fitting our G54B, it won't happen...It's the same head as the 4G63's.... The spool up is UNREAL in a 2.4L DOHC engine. Trust me, I know. I built a 4G64 with a dual cam head from the 2 liter, to eventually put into my SQ, but the tranny held me up. So I sold it to a friend with a DSM. Let me tell you, this engine will SPOOL!!!  

The Hyundai Sonata(90-94 or so) used the Mitsu 2.4L, but they changed the engine code to GC3S or something like that. GC3S or G3CS....

I'm going to build one again, but i've gotta get the 2.6 done first.

John

Has Mitsu gone back to the 2.4/2.5/2.6 block? or is it a bored/stroked 2.0?

The 2.4 came in two different width's, I believe. Just like the SOHC 2.0 liters from our over-seas SQ brothers. Either way you go, if you want to run a manual tranny, get a six bolt flywheel.

Some of the DSMer's use the 2.4L's crank/rods etc... to stroke the 2 liter to a real close 2.2...

That's where it's at bro..  The 4G64(2.4L) is a direct relative to the 4G63. The 4G63's DOHC head fits on the 4G64. As you obviously already know, the 2.4L came with a DOHC in 95 ONLY, in the GALANT GS. 160hp/160tq N/A... While the SOHC N/A 2.4 made 141hp/148tq.....   As far as the DOHC head fitting our G54B, it won't happen...It's the same head as the 4G63's.... The spool up is UNREAL in a 2.4L DOHC engine. Trust me, I know. I built a 4G64 with a dual cam head from the 2 liter, to eventually put into my SQ, but the tranny held me up. So I sold it to a friend with a DSM. Let me tell you, this engine will SPOOL!!!  

The Hyundai Sonata(90-94 or so) used the Mitsu 2.4L, but they changed the engine code to GC3S or something like that. GC3S or G3CS....

I'm going to build one again, but i've gotta get the 2.6 done first.

John

I knew about the 64/63 hybrid already.

And yes I would like to build one of those.

Yes the DOHC increases flow over 70% over the SOHC, so duh, yeah the spool is incredible. ;D

Andd not to mentin the plethra of parts... :'(

I also knew the 2.0 2.4L came in 2+ forms.

So what trans are you all using on the '63? I head of the wide pattern maxie that the stock trans will bolt to, but what about the thinner more common version?

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't use a spacer behind the flywheel unless it was dowelled and even then you would probably shear the dowels off if you were making any serious horsepower.

I thought you bought a cheap 6 spd you were adapting?  You have no options that will bolt directly on that are made by Mitsubishi, period.  You can use a Mightymax 2L trans, but it will require floor/console hacking mods, it's cable clutch so you need to mod the bellhousing by tig welding some form of stool for the slave to sit on, hack the side for different fork, drill and tap the inside for different fork, custom driveshaft, and it will still explode with a 4g63 stock 200hp.  

You can take the internals from a Starion/Conquest, yes.....but only from a first gen, as the 88+ have bigger internals including bearings and will not fit the case.  You'll get 250hp before the case flexes, throwing the mainshaft and countershaft for a tailspin and grenading.

I would go either with your 6 spd which would be killer (T56 or Getrag??), automatic, or StarConquer's bellhousing for W series Toyota.

Don't waste your time/money investing in a trans that just won't last and is costly/rare to find.  It also requires hard to find parts when it scatters and requires mods to the unit as it's intergrated bellhousing.

Take care

Shawn

I am looking/getting the T56. But again waiting for that damn check. My freind at the yard has hidden it for me ;D

from what I have seen of the T56 and the manual 2.4 bellhousing, the adapter would be replacing the wider 2.4 opening and shrinking it to the thinner '56 mounting. I was really surprissed at just how thin those things are.

Again, not for certain, but I do not even think that tunnel modifacation will be needed.

That would be trick.  The Getrag Supra is quite a lump.  Please take measurements, I'd be interested in working with you on an adapter, although I don't like T series Borg Warner's, but it's an option for sure.

So what are you using for a bellhousing??  I'm still confused as to what your idea is because I have not seen a Mitsu bellhousing that is removable....

Take care

Shawn

I have seen the T56 hold well over 600 HP.

We need to combine these threads don't we?.. LOL half the stuff is asked twice and answered once...

Also a question. I have not been able to get a C-C on the 1G rods? are they shorter then the 64's?

I was planning on making a rig (once I get a t56 that is) that would have the size of the 64' housing tube on one end, and the 56' on the other.

As far as lining them up, I know. But untill I can get both side by side, I may very well find that I will need to back the 56 off the engine some... so untill I get cash... it's all up in the air.

• 1 month later...

If you can find one the best head to use would be a sirus dash head , it is a 3  valve  per cyl head that was used in the  82  rallie car and the Jackie Chan car  it has one small intake valve that opporates to approx 3000 RPM when the comp. turns on the oil everter to the hyd rams on top of the larger set of valves  taking the engine from approx 100 hp to 200  hp in 1 to 2 sec .   These engines are 2 lt engiones ,but with a  2.4 engine , and a good turbo 300 to 400 hp  would be possable with   reliablity.

Have fun

Mark T