Adjustable Cam Gear

Lots of people on this site use adjustable cam gears since that's about the only way to get your cam timing right.  People that have degrees their cam have found it to be significantly off, especially with a decked block or head.  Shawn_Silva sells one that looks alot better than the ebay one, although it is probably more expensive too.

http://www.starconquer.com

Wow, adjustable cam gears, roller rocker, and de-stroked cranks. Now I'm thinking those de-stroked cranks would really allow are engines to really rev. Going from 2.6 liters to 2.3 liters would this make are engine displacement under squared. Meaning the bore would be greater than stroke.

hehe, it'll already rev, with the proper valve train, matched turbo, MPI and lots of weight savings on the rotating mass and you too can have an 8500 rpm redline 4g54bt.  

you dont need to destroke it, part of the fun is the Tq #'s an oversquare motor produces, the only drawback is you have to pay attention to your rotating mass weight, and make sure everything is balanced by a pro.

Yellow_quest

Which setup would work the best for drag racing StarQuesters? A 2.6 engine with the proper valve train, matched turbo, MPI, and professional weight saving and balancing on the rotating assembly. Or a 2.3 (de-stroked) engine with the same mods. The 2.3 setup should produce more hp at higher rpm's. But, what really wins in drag racing, torque or is it horsepower? Ok I just confused myself. Someone please help.  

Nobody knows. Thats half the fun of owning a starquest. Endless pits of money into something that will someday run fast, mostly spent on items that will be sold agian.

Only %1 of the population has gone 12s or lower... And thats not that fast.

So now, the question becomes, as it worth it to you to take the chance?

Not I, and I'm on MPI. (whoah, that rhymed).

Joel

You mean take a chance on a new setup (i.e. 2.3 destroked engine)? Thats tuff especially on a limited budget. I was just courious if someone had already tried these two setups so we can benefit from their expirence.

Joel, your a poet and you didn't know it.... doah!  Seems you always find the time to bust a rhyme.....doah!

I think the destroke works well for it's intended purpose, road racing, where you get it spun up and keep it in the higher rpm all day long.  But, people in Puerto Rico have stated that Sakura is 2.3 or was at one time, who knows.  I do have one PR site that does list Sakura under the 2.3 class in black and white.  I believe the 2.3 does have a place on the dragstrip as well, being as you can wind it up higher before you have to shift, therefore gaining more ground between gears.  You can run more boost, less gear.  Thats my take on it.

Take care

Shawn

it's best to make torque at high rpm, so you can take advantage of gearing, but if you had to trade torque for HP it would really depend on your setup, and no one could tell you which would be better in the quarter 'till you ran it. check this link for all you ever wanted to know about the relationship between torque and HP http://www.vettenet.org/torquehp.html