fip vs stock

i have what looks like the TB-PRO2R kit. i cant see that its better than the stock fuel injection.

it seems to be a poor megasquirt 1 knock off with no support or future upgrades.

is it possible to add two more injectors to it, wideband o2 or anything MS can do.

thanks

that system is better than stock. you can run bigger injectors and tune the car as you see fit.

the caseing is simliar, but the boards are completely different. However it does use the Megatune software.

Unsure of adding injectors, and are you talking about datalogging? but yes there is a spot to hook up a wideband O2

The support is here on the boards from other members who have a running FIP system. if your looking for upgrades from that then you might wanna go ahead and switch to an MPI system.

I run FIP and it seems to be a good system so far but I wish it had timing control but I think I have found a way around that issue. And like he said you can run more injectors I think as many as 16 but i know for sure you can run 8.

I ran it with two 96lb msd injectors before I went MPI, Now I run 4 75lb MSD on my Magna with it never had any problems. Tech support used to be better but I think Ed has had some health issues but even still he is quick to responed to emails. They have always helped me even if my questions may not have been related to there system. If you need help setting it up or have any question feel free to pm me.

Later James

how do i hook up a wideband and have megatune auto adjust it?

where are the directions for hooking up extra things like idle controls, going from 2 to 4 injectors, stuff like that.

is there anyway to add a maf.

i know you can run bigger injectors but you lose the factory tune and maf which i liked.

just because it has a different board layout does not mean its not a megasquirt knockoff, it uses megatune.

would fip exist if megasquirt never did?

thanks

where are the directions for hooking up extra things like idle controls, going from 2 to 4 injectors, stuff like that.

i know you can run bigger injectors but you lose the factory tune and maf which i liked.

just because it has a different board layout does not mean its not a megasquirt knockoff, it uses megatune.

thanks

then you could claim that a lot of aftermarket ecu's are knock off's of each other

i'm sure fip would have still been around, but they would have needed to write their own tuning program rather then having one that was readily available and easy to use.

you wouldn't want to run the mas, due to the fact that you are now running a map sensor.

as for the adding injectors, you would just need to add resistors for the injector powers along with 2 extra wires to the harness.

i've made a few harness and would be able to make one for you if needed(for the cost of wires, resistors, and time, would be too much).

a bunch of member here have the stock mpi tune and all you woul dneed to do is ask one of them

yes you could claim that but i'm not talking about other ecus, i'm talking about fip and megasquirt.

I know its a knockoff/based off MS1 because it uses megatune. So what is it that makes it not a knockoff.

I guess that answears my question, you have to rig it up to make it work with 4 injectors. So how many injector

drivers does fip have 2.

I just dont see what good a fip tpi setup is good for over the stock setup or why someone would pay this much for it over going mpi with MS2.

Sure i can tune it but with the stock tbi i dont need to becuse it uses a maf.

I'm going to end up pulling this $800 setup out and going full MS so i will have some tuning options.

where are the directions for fip or how it should be tuned. I would like to do autotuning with a wideband but there are not any directions on there website.

thanks for you help

thanks

If you like the factory tune and the maf then you do not need this.

Send it to me ill add some things to it and go mpi on my car with it.

Edited by Dan_Brew

If you like the factory tune and the maf then you do not need this.

Send it to me ill and some things to it and go mpi on my car with it.

Its already on my car so that would require me to remove it and then my car would not work at all.

yes you could claim that but i'm not talking about other ecus, i'm talking about fip and megasquirt.

I know its a knockoff/based off MS1 because it uses megatune. So what is it that makes it not a knockoff.

I just dont see what good a fip tpi setup is good for over the stock setup or why someone would pay this much for it over going mpi with MS2.

I'm going to end up pulling this $800 setup out and going full MS so i will have some tuning options.

Its not a knock off because the actual engineering was different but yes, it uses the same freeware program

its chepaer than Switching to MPI, ya dont have to replace your intake manifold or drill holes to add injectors. Alot of ppl see that as a perk. A MAF can tune some, but when your running 2x 1000cc injectors with the stock air flow meter... you WILL run into problems.

Good luck with megasquirt though. do ya already what kind of manifold are you gonna run for MPI?

I guess that answears my question, you have to rig it up to make it work with 4 injectors. So how many injector

drivers does fip have 2.

where are the directions for fip or how it should be tuned. I would like to do autotuning with a wideband but there are not any directions on there website.

thanks for you help

BLA BLA BLA BLA auto tuning is for losers BLA BLA BLA BLA

PS: Good luck with that megasquirt :character0292:

That fip set up is great!!! Dont get rid of it. With that set up you do not need a maf sensor at all. It should have come with a map sensor. You can tune the same way you would a MS system.

That system is a step between MPI TPI. When you have more money you can get the MPI manifold and injectors and still use the FIP computer. SIMPLE

If you want to get rid of it cheap (since it is a knock off ) let me know lol

I run that ecu with MPI and its great.

OK ,

So lets start over, because of your first post I assumed that it was not installed on your car and you had reservations about installing it without more background info.

So now that we know it installed on your car What seems to be the problem with it or are you just wanting to know what your options are.

The main advantage to having it is that it will allow you to run less expensive injectors and you can run A bigger turbo with higher boost safely. I ran my TBPRO2 with a 19c turbo and 20 psi with no issues then converted to MPI Magna intake and I am Still using the FIP ECU. The only down side I have found to going MPI with the FIP sytem is that it does not have timing control which can make for some creative solutions when tring to go MPI. But if your not going MPI it just doesnt matter. As far as tuning is concerned you really dont need to do much unless you change turbo sizes or max boost. I have tons of maps I will give you and dont mind advising you on changes if you give me some info on you current setup and the type of demands you have.

No, it was already on the car but it was not tuned right. Without using it before i got it to run ok but it still has drivability problems. mostly when i'm changeing throttle positions on decel.

at what, $800, its not that much cheaper than just going mpi from stock. one thing that tells me how good a system is is its resale value.

what would someone give me for the system. I bet i would not even get close to half of retail.

Thats true when i do go mpi i can keep what i got but the fip computer cant be upgraded to ms extra can it. If i want that i have to go ms right.

I guess it does not matter if its a copy or not the point is it has limited upgradability. If it was not already on the car i would never have bought, i would

have gone MS2. That might cost more but its a better system i think, has lots of support and upgradability.

To autoxer that would be great as i mostly can do the constants page and little else. I also need to change my turbo, i think its really small.

The turbo will do 10 or so psi at half throttle and 15psi by about 2300. The car just feels like it has nothing. I bet a na z31 could bet it.

Anybody ever put a z31 t3 on a SQ, if so how does it do. A t3 is already on my car so it should not be that hard.

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

thats it, i'm going back to the stock EFI! I don't have the time or money to tune something that will need to be changed every time i change something that effects VE.

If my engine was where it was going to end up this might be fine but as it stands its not. I'm going to end up changeing this turbo and the current settings will be of no use.

If this was a ms1 i could just upgrade to ms2 for cheap and get a bigger VE map.I just looked and ms1 extra has a 12x12 map and i believe thats just a firmware update which if you con do on the fip i don't know how. the fip/ms1 map is just to small and the tuning option are lacking. It would be fine i think if i had mpi and a good intake manifold with SD but tuning with the o2 and a small ve map with tbi just don't work for me. It takes to long for fuel changes to happen with tbi and by the time to does its to late.

It is my opinion that the power difference that can be had from going to fip/ms1 on tbi vs the stock maf system is not worth the problems that go with it.

Does the stock 1500cc or so not support atleast 300hp. I don't think i would want to tune SD on tbi above that, i might break something!

I would rather make changes to a system thats already been tuned than tune it myself. I think i'm going to try and go eev-iv with a maf. Since its maf 2.3 or 2.6 with turbo, the ecu will not care as it will make the ve changes for me. If i can make it work then i get all the tuning ford spend lots of money getting right. Of course if its already been done i would like to know.

I don't know why people like SD its a pain to tune. Now what would be great is a SD/maf system. A 97 blazer has this i think. I think the maf fills in the VE table then the map takes over cause you unplug the maf and the engine still runs. I know the microsquirt firmware has this but i don't know how well it works.

And to be fair, FIP might have been great when it came out but it has not been updated nor is it the cheapest. I would no consider the fip ecu a option at all.

all this is my opinion of course

thanks to all who replied. I'll keep you posted just in case anyone cares.