Re: t66 worth my time??

i just reently picked up a garrett t66 brand new for very cheap. i am building my quest, and i am wondering if anyone thinks it is worth my time and money to put such a large turbo in my car, due to turbo lag, slow spool, etc. i also want to drive this thing on the steets. not daily driver, but often. give me feedback. in order for this turbo to be in, i would need new manifold, HUGE intercooler, HUGE fuel pump/injectors, i am already working on an engine, rear diff?, trans? what do u guys think??

thanks

Yes you would need all the goodies. You have a 2.6 man, if it is maybe a .70 a/r with P trim wheel on a divided housing you should be ok as far as spool goes if your revving to 7k or so, probably full boost around 4k. That should be sick. Just be sure you want to spend this kind of money and that is what you want. A T66 is for somebody that wants to run 10s and have at least 500whp. If anything sell me the T66 cheap.

if he doenst take it im next on that list, t66 is just what im looking for.   thats not just a bolt on part you need lots o mods to fit that puppy.  first and foremost fuel.  you will most likely need one of mine and propeins manifolds when we produce them,  also id think about some sort of header to get the exhaust velocity up.  ive heard the rear diff and tranny on 88-89 can support 450hp, thats new and probobly for short periods.  when you push the limits like that id look into better u joint first.

Doing that kind of power you more than likely will have to upgrade the rear end and tranny, Im not saying they wouldnt last for a while, but thats it just a lil while, Im already running into these problems with 420 at the flywheel and a biiger turbo on the way...just keep that in mind if you are gonna make it streetable.

-Neil

If you really want it, to work, you can make anything possible. manifold, fuel, ignition, motor.  it will be some work an some amount fo money.  it really up to you.  you need to ask your self. how badd do i want this to work. that turbo is wicked,.. slow coming on,.  then slams you in the back seat, an it wont let go. an what it was intended for?? displacement wise. keep us posted, as you can tell a few have already, been lookg at the charts for those.

i am looking for a nice dtreet / strip car.

no pure drag bullstinky. im not spending alot of cash to only drive on weekends at the track. id like to be running low 12s, while still being able to drive down the block.my engine will be ready late this summer, and i will have to know for sure by then.thanks guys

These guys are probably a hell of alot smarter about the big turbo thing then I, but I would sell that turbo for more than what I got it if you got it cheap and its in good condition, buy me a T4 and put the rest of the money towards MPI or whatever you were wanting to do! I believe a T4 is what pump EIP's into 10's and that's an everyday driver.

Just what Id do!

Yes you would need all the goodies. You have a 2.6 man, if it is maybe a .70 a/r with P trim wheel on a divided housing you should be ok as far as spool goes if your revving to 7k or so, probably full boost around 4k. That should be sick. Just be sure you want to spend this kind of money and that is what you want. A T66 is for somebody that wants to run 10s and have at least 500whp. If anything sell me the T66 cheap.

A *true* T66 with a P-trim .70, even with a divided header and turbine housing, will still be very, very laggy unless you have a stand-alone EFI and spark system.  I did this very thing many years ago and it was misery, repeat, MISERY driving it around on the stock ECU, period.  Try it if you don't believe me, you'll be sorry! ;)

The other issue is whether you really got a T66.  Is it a T04S04 housing machined out for a T66 wheel?  If not, you got something else.  Post some pics, I'll tell you exactly what you have.

A *true* T66 with a P-trim .70, even with a divided header and turbine housing, will still be very, very laggy unless you have a stand-alone EFI and spark system.  I did this very thing many years ago and it was misery, repeat, MISERY driving it around on the stock ECU, period.  Try it if you don't believe me, you'll be sorry! ;)

The other issue is whether you really got a T66.  Is it a T04S04 housing machined out for a T66 wheel?  If not, you got something else.  Post some pics, I'll tell you exactly what you have.

Sorry I assumed anybody running a T66 would be running a sheetmetal MPI intake and a good stand alone. Plus they would have a motor that could take revs to at least 7-7.5k.

Either way I dont think this turbo is for you. Yes you would be able to drive this car all day long what do you think it would blow up when you hit the shopping areas? hehe. However your goals are just low 12s, you can do that with a much much much smaller turbo and that will spool 5 times faster and be more "streetable".

the turbo is brand new, and in more than excellent condition, but i could still not sell it for enough mone y to make it worth my while. the original turbo i wanted was a 17c. i couldnt sell this turbo for enough money to be able to by the 17c

what kind of a/r on the exhaust on the turbo? if it's .58 you should be able to use on the street, you know what they say-"if you got no lag you make no power"  ;D ,

myself going with T61/GT wheels so it should be fun, rob NJ.

ekstatixx sent me pics of the turbo.  Chris, it is not a T66, it is a large diesel unit.  

I bet you can ebay it off quickly though.  Advertise it for a V8 and you'll get lots of

single turbo V8 guys wanting it.  It is not a carbon seal unit so if any potential buyer asks, it will NOT work with a draw-thru carburetor.

A 17C would be a very nice upgrade onto a stock turbo, especially if you use the 17C compressor housing (which is a TD06 family housing).  It will work so-so if you have a TD05 housing machined out for the 17C, and it doesn't matter whether it's an Eclipse TD05 housing or a 16G TD05 housing; any TD05 housing will reduce the performance of the 17C wheel.  Have someone mount your stock actuator onto the 17C TD06 housing and you'll have a blast.

Have fun

• 2 weeks later...
ekstatixx sent me pics of the turbo.  Chris, it is not a T66, it is a large diesel unit.  

I bet you can ebay it off quickly though.  Advertise it for a V8 and you'll get lots of

single turbo V8 guys wanting it.  It is not a carbon seal unit so if any potential buyer asks, it will NOT work with a draw-thru carburetor.

I have an 18g turbo from FP that uses the stock TD05 comp housing would it be possible to use a tdo6 housing if so where can I source it out and would it make a big difference in term of performance?

Thanks,

Joe

A 17C would be a very nice upgrade onto a stock turbo, especially if you use the 17C compressor housing (which is a TD06 family housing).  It will work so-so if you have a TD05 housing machined out for the 17C, and it doesn't matter whether it's an Eclipse TD05 housing or a 16G TD05 housing; any TD05 housing will reduce the performance of the 17C wheel.  Have someone mount your stock actuator onto the 17C TD06 housing and you'll have a blast.

Have fun

Have fun

I have an 18g turbo from FP that uses the stock TD05 comp housing would it be possible to use a tdo6 housing if so where can I source it out and would it make a big difference in term of performance?

Thanks,

Joe

Joe, just upgrading the compressor housing is good but not enough, you also need to install the rear exhaust wheel from the TD06. Trust me, with the compressor housing and exhaust wheel you will notice a MAJOR difference if you have all pieces of the puzzle (larger intake,more fuel, exhaust) in place.............quicker spool,better response and more go on the butt dyno...........

Joe, just upgrading the compressor housing is good but not enough, you also need to install the rear exhaust wheel from the TD06. Trust me, with the compressor housing and exhaust wheel you will notice a MAJOR difference if you have all pieces of the puzzle (larger intake,more fuel, exhaust) in place.............quicker spool,better response and more go on the butt dyno...........

Hi Pumped,

Yeah I have pretty much did the mods in excepion of MPI and it starts to spool +5 psi at 2100 on 3rd gear and that turbo packs a lot of punch but you know more power is good hehe ;D I believe you on the changes on the turbine too do you know where can I source this out maybe Forced Performance but maybe there's somewhere else cheaper. I weighing in if i should goto Garrett T3/T4 but I'm open to options. Thanks,

Joe