oil change

87whiteconquestblack

im thinking about gettin my oil changed to a synthetic brand new motor prob has 1,000 miles on it. for the break in oil i used shell rotella since it has alot of zinc. im thinking about switching to like a 10 w40 mobil 1 but i read this article this guy and now im not sure what too do read it and let me know what you guys think

Well, to start with, the oil viscosity you are using deals a lot with the

temperatures your car is faced with. A multi grade oil like 10w-30 is an all

around good choice for those of us blessed with not having freezing

temperatures.

I would most definitely stay away from synthetic oils as a motor oil for

turbocharged cars. Synthetics contain PTFE (Teflons) that can be damaging to

the main turbine bearing. Your turbos spool at extremely high RPM, thus

generating a lot of heat. Its not uncommon for turbos to spool as high as

50,000 RPM. At extreme heats, the Teflons actually seperate from the other

ingredients in the oil, and solidify into particles, which of course is not

condusive to long turbo (or engine) life

He's confused, modern synthetic oils do not generally contain PTFE and turbos spin up in excess of 100,000 rpm. According to my "big" 16G map sitting in front of me the compressor is still in its efficiency island at 145,000 rpm. PTFE was an additive in all types of oil years back and marketed as a friction reducer but it did create problems as described and was dropped from most formulations. Not sure you can even get it as an additive anymore.

I have used synthetics for 20 years or so, most brands at one time or another, right now I'm using exclusively Amsoil in all my vehicles and very happy with the performance and economy. I use oil testing to tell me when to change, its usually once per year with filter so its cheaper and less work than blindly changing oil every X,XXX miles and I highly recommend this approach. Besides telling you when to change the oil you get other useful information and they can even tell you when bearings are starting to wear.

Scott

I don't see why you would worry about using Mobile 1 syn., cause if those turbo BMW's, and High-end AMG turbo Benz use it from the factory...then I would use it for every oil change. First time actually hearing about Teflon being used in oil tho, maybe I need more into it. Either way I think you'll be ok with any Synthetic oil. I just prefer to use Mobile 1. Edited by CondorTSI

He's confused, modern synthetic oils do not generally contain PTFE and turbos spin up in excess of 100,000 rpm. According to my "big" 16G map sitting in front of me the compressor is still in its efficiency island at 145,000 rpm. PTFE was an additive in all types of oil years back and marketed as a friction reducer but it did create problems as described and was dropped from most formulations. Not sure you can even get it as an additive anymore.

I have used synthetics for 20 years or so, most brands at one time or another, right now I'm using exclusively Amsoil in all my vehicles and very happy with the performance and economy. I use oil testing to tell me when to change, its usually once per year with filter so its cheaper and less work than blindly changing oil every X,XXX miles and I highly recommend this approach. Besides telling you when to change the oil you get other useful information and they can even tell you when bearings are starting to wear.

Scott

how do you test your oil?