Custom Intercooler Pipes

Anyone interested? Any questions?

These pipes are serious, and priced for the gearhead in mind.

Pictures arent the best in the world but they get the point across.

http://boostedparts.tripod.com/IntercoolerPipes/STA_0104.jpg

http://boostedparts.tripod.com/IntercoolerPipes/STA_0105.jpg

http://boostedparts.tripod.com/IntercoolerPipes/STA_0106.jpg

http://boostedparts.tripod.com/IntercoolerPipes/STA_0108.jpg

** Copy and paste into address window **

The first pipe going from turbo to intercooler is 1 3/4inch inner diameter, and the other is 2 3/8inch inner diameter.  The larger pipe is just from the stock j-bend pipe from the radiator support.  This is just a prototype of the system we are going to use.  MUCH more is in development right now.  On this TOTAL STOCK car we gained 2psi over stock, up from 10psi and much wider power range, all the way to 6000rpm.  The air can has been removed and just a k&n is strapped on (cannot see) the filter is were the charcoal can used to be, for cold air.  Pipes are black, but paint up nicely.  Super strong and heat resistant to 400degrees. Yet flexible enough to bend.  So far over the past month seem MUCH better than any steel/aluminum pipes ive ever seen on a turbo car.  I'll try to keep updates...web page in the making.  I can get most sizes depending on what is needed.

How does one gain 2psi over stock without changing the wastegate, or regulating the pressure to the wastegate?

Joel

I gained about 2psi on my TEP OVCP pipe alone over stock. I'd say due to what FastEddie stated in his reply to you. The stock boost control is set up to a certain PSI on the flexing hoses, but if you were to replace them with non-flexing hoses, boost would be improved over stock, as the factory boost control mechanisms don't 'auto adjust' themselves. At least, that's the only way I can explain it...

The wastegate will open at 10psi, not 12psi. Doesn't matter if something ballons or not.

If you are going by the stock gauge, that would be more of an airflow adjustment (as the stock gauge uses the MAF to calculate boost).

If you have a 10psi wastegate actuator, and you add pipes, and it "gains 2psi", why does the wastegate not open sooner? You do nothing to the wastegate, or the hoses leading to the wastegate, boost readings should be the same unless you have boost creep. After all, if you can simply change pipes and hoses to change the boost, what good is a wastegate?

Joel

The stock wastegate is soo small as it can hardly correct the boost.  On my full mod car with a stock turbo i can run 15psi with the wastegate open.  With my TD06H 20G @ 750CFM, (Level 5 Frank) with the stock wastegate i could get over 20psi with no wastegate valve.  I Destroyed 2 Wastegate flappers, shot them right out the exhaust.  My local turbo builder has never seen this done, I'm waiting to install a new external wastegate now.  As for the pressure increase you have pressure drop through a system, at the turbo you may have 20psi, but after piping and intercooler it may only be 15psi at the manifold do to the restrictions of the stock system.

The stock wastegate is soo small as it can hardly correct the boost.  On my full mod car with a stock turbo i can run 15psi with the wastegate open.  With my TD06H 20G @ 750CFM, (Level 5 Frank) with the stock wastegate i could get over 20psi with no wastegate valve.  I Destroyed 2 Wastegate flappers, shot them right out the exhaust.  My local turbo builder has never seen this done, I'm waiting to install a new external wastegate now.  As for the pressure increase you have pressure drop through a system, at the turbo you may have 20psi, but after piping and intercooler it may only be 15psi at the manifold do to the restrictions of the stock system.

On my 85.5 I have had no issue with holding 7.5psi or 15psi (or 20psi). With no wastegate actuator (just hanging open) I was able to acheive < 3psi.

This was with both a 2" custom OVCP and a 2.5" OVCP made out of hard pipes.

Joel