thinking about a 4g63T swap

G54B3sgte

Hey guys I am reading your posts on the ones who have done the 4g63 swaps and I am about to aquire a talon tsi for 500 bucks with a broken timing belt but is coming with a new head for it. as I do plan on rebuilding the lower end I was wondering what all I would need to do this swap time is nothing big as my star is already down and out for the count was wondering where yall are getting your engine mount setups and what you all are using for transmissions flywheels and clutch setups I am very interested in this swap and I think I may be ready to tackle it anyways if you can provide information, links of info or parts, and own personal war stories of doing the swap thatd be great and yes I am using the search button so dont flame me there anyways all your advice and help will be greatly appreciated Edited by G54B3sgte

Hey guys I am reading your posts on the ones who have done the 4g63 swaps and I am about to aquire a talon tsi for 500 bucks with a broken timing belt but is coming with a new head for it. as I do plan on rebuilding the lower end I was wondering what all I would need to do this swap time is nothing big as my star is already down and out for the count was wondering where yall are getting your engine mount setups and what you all are using for transmissions flywheels and clutch setups I am very interested in this swap and I think I may be ready to tackle it anyways if you can provide information, links of info or parts, and own personal war stories of doing the swap thatd be great and yes I am using the search button so dont flame me there anyways all your advice and help will be greatly appreciated

www.projectzerog.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

it all depends what route you want to take,

in my case i decided to keep my starion tranny, but that meant finding a wide block 2.0 off of an automatic truck and using the eclipse internals.

or if you want to keep the eclipse block (narrowblock) you would have to use a ram 50/mighty max tranny, but that means different lenghts on the tail between the truck and starquest tranny.

if you're trying to go an easy way, i just say you find a wide block and use the internals off the 4g63t, plus this way you can re-ring and put new rod and main bearings. just make sure you use all the dohc stuff especially the oil pump cover. keep the truck pump and remember to use the main bearing caps from the truck block.

theres a lot more to this but i'll leave you with this for now

check out projectzerog you'll find a bunch of info there, just study really good how you're going to do this and you'll minimize headaches, at least thats what i did.

David

• 2 weeks later...
it all depends what route you want to take,

in my case i decided to keep my starion tranny, but that meant finding a wide block 2.0 off of an automatic truck and using the eclipse internals.

or if you want to keep the eclipse block (narrowblock) you would have to use a ram 50/mighty max tranny, but that means different lenghts on the tail between the truck and starquest tranny.

if you're trying to go an easy way, i just say you find a wide block and use the internals off the 4g63t, plus this way you can re-ring and put new rod and main bearings. just make sure you use all the dohc stuff especially the oil pump cover. keep the truck pump and remember to use the main bearing caps from the truck block.

theres a lot more to this but i'll leave you with this for now

check out projectzerog you'll find a bunch of info there, just study really good how you're going to do this and you'll minimize headaches, at least thats what i did.

David

where did you get your intake from? did you have to remove the spacer (brake booster) for it to fit?

Hey guys I am reading your posts on the ones who have done the 4g63 swaps and I am about to aquire a talon tsi for 500 bucks with a broken timing belt but is coming with a new head for it. as I do plan on rebuilding the lower end I was wondering what all I would need to do this swap time is nothing big as my star is already down and out for the count was wondering where yall are getting your engine mount setups and what you all are using for transmissions flywheels and clutch setups I am very interested in this swap and I think I may be ready to tackle it anyways if you can provide information, links of info or parts, and own personal war stories of doing the swap thatd be great and yes I am using the search button so dont flame me there anyways all your advice and help will be greatly appreciated

i have never done the swap, but, i believe buschur makes a mount kit for the swap. i dont know the specifics on anythin else though

Graham

• 2 weeks later...
where did you get your intake from? did you have to remove the spacer (brake booster) for it to fit?

what you see in my picture was a custom metal intake, but now i have a modified evo 8 intake with a 1st gen eclipse flange to mount up to the head. you can also do what most guys do and that is use a dohc intake and weld a flange to the opposite end and just block the other.

i didn't have to mess with the spacer on my booster either but it all depends what you want to do.

That's the manifold Bill fabbed up for you, right?

Was there any talk of him mass-producing those manifolds, or is it on a custom-per-order basis? I'm trying to figure my options for my swap.

yes the intake on my car now is indeed the evo intake that bill fabbed for me, and as far as i know you have to send in an evo intake along with a 1st gen intake for bill to make one for you.

the only reason i wanted the evo intake was because it was easier to make emissions equipment function off of it, but it still is a bad a** intake!