88 Durban first/last price drop 1800 No longer for sale

Ono

Well, if I could have deleted the entire post I would have, but since nobody looked at it anyway, it's just as well that I didn't. Car is no longer available. It is now a 100% complete parts car to be used on my 89. Any thing that I know will never be used on my 89 will be put up in the parts for sale forum eventually. In the meantime, PLEASE DON"T ASK FOR PARTS, TO MUCH GOING ON RIGHT NOW------THANKS!

At least I gave it a shot....................

1988 Durban Maroon Quest 80K miles 1800

Okay, been doing a lot of work on my project car (motor almost done) and the Durban is now sitting right next to it so I've been seeing it alot. Well, the Durban has got to go so I have shortened it's timeline considerably due to almost a complete lack of interest. Rather then part it out if not sold, I'm going to canablize it for the project car (will only be a few odds and ends) and then it'll just sit at my mechanics for whenever I need to pull something off it. The bad news for me is, I won't get any money for it, the good news is, I'll have an entire car full of good stuff to pull whatever I need to off of it. I will have assorted Maroon interior parts and a 80K mile auto tranny to sell to someone who has already rogered up to it. So come and get it guys.1800 and it's yours.

For pics, go to Photobucket. Type in Username StarQuest1968 Password: 88Durban. This is the easiest way I could think of to post as many pics as I could. I can only upload one pic to this site and it’s always tiny. I have included all pics of the car as it looked while I was driving it around on a daily basis to show you how it looked under my care, what it would look like if you washed and waxed it and what it looks like now after sitting in a dusty parking lot unable to be washed. I keep all my vehicles in Operating Room states of cleanliness. So I’m embarrassed you have to see it like this now. For the record, the car is being sold as it looks sitting outside at the mechanics garage. No 83 hood, no MAFT, no wideband. Black centers are what comes with the car.

Good:

1. Zero Rust

2. 99.9% Straight

3. Paint is excellent for 20 yrs old (possibly repainted but no indication thereof)

4. Braided fuel lines and water line to turbo

5. A/C works. Recently vac’d down, checked for leaks, and recharged (works on a toggle from dash)

6. New 2.5†exhaust and muffler, no cat less then 500 miles

7. Custom down pipe

8. New Stereo

9. New Non-jet head from DAD mildly ported less then 500 miles on it

10. Cleaned and flowed injectors less then 500 miles on

11. New stress relieved exhaust manifold from DAD less then 500 miles on

12. Rims recently had clear removed, lips shined up, and painted black (Have all center caps)

13. TB rebuild zero miles

14. New injector clips

15. New water pump zero miles

16. Tires 60% tread life

17. 16G turbo might need a rebuild in the future, but was working fine

18. Motor gone through with a fine tooth comb. All cylinders 150 across board. Rock solid motor I SAY AGAIN ROCK SOLID!

19. White face gages

20. Interior is extremely nice

21. New wiper blades and arms

22. Duel pillar pod with new oil pressure and temp gage

23. OVCP and BOV

24. SAFC

25. I will throw in a newly painted black hood to match the rims if you want it

26. New airdam brackets made by Mainstream

27. Tranny shifts great, just replaced the fluid and changed the oil.

Bad:

2. Golf ball size dent on pass side ground effect

3. Some scratches, rear spoiler has a bad spot on the top. In the past few weeks the right rear bumper cover has gotten wavey. I think due to the car sitting out in the sun for the last 6 weeks at my mechanics. Airdam came off my parts car, it was silver, so I poof canned it to match the car. It actually looks really good except one area in the right front that keeps flaking off. It looks good everywhere else.

8. When the A/C is turned on, the stereo goes in and out, not sure why. I suck as a mechanic but I'm even worse at wiring so I just dealt with it. Doesn't always happen. Stereo worked in tuner mode then it stopped. Now it only picks up a religous channel. I use it in CD mode, Something to do with the antenna. Oh, it has an aftermarket antenna on the windshield, stock never worked.

19. Speedo works aftermarket boost gage works however, engine temp and oil pressure and fuel in the instrument cluster do not. I put a dual pillar pod in and put after market oil and temp gages in. They work but I couldn't find the right fitting to put the new oil temp gage sending unit in the block, so I had to use the stocker, which makes the gage erratic. Four trips to Auto Zone trying to find the right fitting and no one could match the thread so I had to use the stocker.

24. SAFC is mounted but disconnected from the ECU. (Done trying to figure out the problem it was having, easy to hook back up.

If you want to find out what it’s doing, please read my posts. If anything they ought to be good for a laugh at my mechanical inability. This would be a 10 page post if I explained it all again.

As of right now, it starts cold, runs for a few minutes really well, then dies. After the next start up, it runs like crap from the get-go. For some reason it’s not reading the air right. It does have a Innovate wideband in it (it does not come with the car. I only put it in to try to figure out why it wasn’t running right. If it helped me find the issue and fix it, I wouldn’t be selling the car) When it starts up, it runs like 15.1, then drops to 10.3 on the gage and dies shortly thereafter. I’m sure anyone on this site familiar with these things could have it diagnosed and fixed in a matter of minutes.

I know this is a long post but I want to be perfectly honest about the car. If you have any questions, please call me. PM for personal number. Anything I can’t answer I’ll refer you to my mechanic. He will vouch for what’s all been done to it, (headwork, exhaust, going through motor) and attest to its condition.

If your not seriously interested, please don’t call. No tire kickers if you will. Only if you have a legit interest in buying it. I spent a good two hours one night sending pics to someone about it and then they fell off the planet…..very frustrating.

This is the timeline. If the car isn’t gone in it’s entirety in 20 days, it will be parted out. I know I can make more money parting it out anyway but I will make an effort to keep her intact. I’m not going to entertain bashers either, if you want to slam me about parting an otherwise good car, come buy it. If not, go away. I paid for it, the title is in my hand and if I want to pour gas on it, light it up and have a hotdog roast while dancing naked around it in a “Grand Poobah†fez it’s my prerogative. Go start a thread calling me an A$$ hole elsewhere, but leave my thread alone. I’m trying to sell a car here and have no time for grown men who want to cry over an inanimate object. So in a word, come buy it or shut your soup cooler! I am not taking any orders for parts either (as of yet) Car is being sold whole as of right now.

Thanks to those of you who offered to fix it for me if I could get it to you, but it’s a bridge to far. I do appreciate it though.

Edited by Ono

I didn't fall off the planet.....I have odd and life-consuming work schedules. I have pulled over 100 hours last week alone. It is still a major consideration, I just needed the time off to consider the logistics of a 1400 mile transport.

I will vouch for the pics, this car looks awesome in the pictures and the price is definately right. If someone closer has money burning a hole in their pocket, you could do much worse than this car.

Ono, I am still looking into things, but quotes are slow (especially with my limited time) and you did not give me a specific time frame in the e-mails. If things can work out, I will shoot you a PM. In the meantime, good luck.

One of the pics I got:

http://usera.imagecave.com/jolyrgr/nokia_pics/100_0077-copy.jpg

JR

Edited by jolyrgr

I didn't fall off the planet.....I have odd and life-consuming work schedules. I have pulled over 100 hours last week alone. It is still a major consideration, I just needed the time off to consider the logistics of a 1400 mile transport.

I will vouch for the pics, this car looks awesome in the pictures and the price is definately right. If someone closer has money burning a hole in their pocket, you could do much worse than this car.

Ono, I am still looking into things, but quotes are slow (especially with my limited time) and you did not give me a specific time frame in the e-mails. If things can work out, I will shoot you a PM. In the meantime, good luck.

One of the pics I got:

http://usera.imagecave.com/jolyrgr/nokia_pics/100_0077-copy.jpg

JR

JR,

Your right, I didn't give you a time line and I apologize if you took things the wrong way. Not my intention. Thanks for the vote of confidence and I hope things work out for you as well!

JR,

Your right, I didn't give you a time line and I apologize if you took things the wrong way. Not my intention. Thanks for the vote of confidence and I hope things work out for you as well!

IF you part that car i would like a shot for the tranny.

BUT I hope it doesn't get parted as I think it looks great and some one should be driving it ^^

JR,

No offence taken. I have sold many a car and things get time consuming. Just remember, sometimes it is a tire-kicker's friend that buys the car.

...and so this doesn't appear to be a threadjack,

http://usera.imagecave.com/jolyrgr/nokia_pics/durban002.jpg

JR

Please See Link for pics

http://s443.photobucket.com/albums/qq157/StarQuest1968/

and see request for help

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.p...t=0#entry775164

Hope this helps! it isn't that anyone isn't interested-- i really like your car-- its just far away. why not try ebay, see what happens?

- Andy

Thanks Marty. I haven't had a bite worth mentioning as of yet.......I don't think anyone would give it the time of day on E-bay, I put a 87 with 37K on there once and the bid got to 1200 or some absurd amount and this car was better then the Durban. Timing is everything I suppose.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. It makes me so @##$%$ mad thinking about some stupid problem keeping it from being right.......right now I don't even want to deal with it.

Edited by Ono

Somehow it wouldn't surprise me....The MAFT I bought for it crapped out after a week...it was fixed by the company that makes them though......So it sits.......

Hide that car in a shed under a car cover, that baby is cherry!

More then likely, that's what's going to happen. I'm expecting to be leaving for Afghanistan in about 30-45 days for a year plus I just bought another house that I'll be moving into in that 30-45 day window, so my plate is full right now. Maybe when I get back I'll drop a 5.0 in it and just sell the motor and tranny......if it doesn't sell in the meantime. Thanks for the compliment, that seems to be the general reaction to it. Guess people are waiting for me to throw a 1K price tag on it but that won't happen. The car can sit there for the next 10 years and it isn't costing me a penny or taking up any space at my house. :hmm3grin2orange: