*NEED help with parts!

superquest

I am about to purchase a 1987 conquest technica non intercooled, my first flatbody non intercooled starquest.

Where do you guys buy parts for these? most parts are for 87-89 widebody intercooled.

also does anyone have a nice picture of a non-intercooled engine bay?

where would i buy the throttle body seals and things like that? can I buy things from advance autoparts? what would i search under? 86 dodge conquest? or....?

thank alot

Edited by superquest

everything or most things are the same. The FI system changed in 87-89(primary secondary injectors) vs the 86 and older which had sequential fire. 88-89 didnt use a map sensor on the firewall but the 87 and older did. 88-89 knock box setup is different.

as far as gaskets and major parts go they are all the same. The head gasket listed for 83-87 cars is different than 88-89 but any will work. 88-89 are said to hold up to higher boost better. there are valve train differences between the older cars but your 87 will be hyd setup like the 88-89.

Tb is the same, only year that had a different tb is 83. 87 non IC vs IC tb is the same for gaskets.

all the parts stores should have a listing back to the 83.

as far as good pics of engine bays i just lost my HD and im currently trying to get it back but here are some pics i have posted online.

let me dig around and see if i can find a pic of a stock engine bay.

this isnt a stock pic but its still non IC

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj39/shift1313/Starion/EngineBay.jpg

i have a lot of pics online of it with the IC on and a lot of pics of it like that but i only had one or two pics of it stock that i dont think are online

this isnt a stock pic but its still non IC

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj39/shift1313/Starion/EngineBay.jpg

i have a lot of pics online of it with the IC on and a lot of pics of it like that but i only had one or two pics of it stock that i dont think are online

thanks alot for your information it helped alot!

can I put a 1G mas in this car? I am pretty sure you can but not sure.

also do you know of a place where i can get an aftermarket ovcpipe for the non intercooled version?

thank you!!!

I dont know that i have ever seen an aftermarket ovc pipe for a flatty. At the turbo the OVC pipe actually has an oring and is inserted into the compressor housing and bolted on. at the TB it attaches the same as the IC ovc pipe. Because of the restriction at the compressor housing im not sure what it would get you running an ovc pipe unless you put a coupler on the outside of the compressor housing and port the housing on the turbo.

I dont see any reason you cant get a 1g mass on there. your 87 flatty fuel system is just like the IC widebody cars so what works for them works for you. A few have been done on flattys but personally i havent done one so im not much help there. A lot of people seem to like the IC swap(all the parts swap over from the IC cars). ive swapped an ic onto mine a few weeks back but i havent driven the car yet so i cant comment on the difference.

heres the link on my how to on the 1st gen mas.

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.p...=idriftnaked707

i would show you a pic of my stock engine bay on my 83 before my 4g63 swap but it had differences from all other years.

as far as auto parts, hit me up. i run an autoparts store here in california, id me more than happy to help, just let me know what you need.

heres the link on my how to on the 1st gen mas.

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.p...=idriftnaked707

i would show you a pic of my stock engine bay on my 83 before my 4g63 swap but it had differences from all other years.

as far as auto parts, hit me up. i run an autoparts store here in california, id me more than happy to help, just let me know what you need.

thanks alot for your offer you'll hear from me soon.

head gasket $20.99

head gasket set $60.99

but to make it easier just go to the website,

www.kragen.com

then just write down the part #'s and prices (prices might be different online) and pm them to me

and fyi on the head gasket, although it lists a different part# for 88-89 and 83-87 it is exactly the same. one day i had nothing better to do and i compared both gaskets, i couldnt find anything different from the 2. i even called the manufacturer to find out the differences, he really couldnt give me a solid answer, all he came up with is that one part# (88-89) superceded the other (83-87)

anyway let me know

David

head gasket $20.99

head gasket set $60.99

but to make it easier just go to the website,

www.kragen.com

then just write down the part #'s and prices (prices might be different online) and pm them to me

and fyi on the head gasket, although it lists a different part# for 88-89 and 83-87 it is exactly the same. one day i had nothing better to do and i compared both gaskets, i couldnt find anything different from the 2. i even called the manufacturer to find out the differences, he really couldnt give me a solid answer, all he came up with is that one part# (88-89) superceded the other (83-87)

anyway let me know

David

i really appreciate it!!!

david. i believe the change is the in the squish ring material around the combustion chambers. The gaskets are the same but i believe that ring is different to hold up to more boost. if it was the same gasket i cant imagine why they would charge twice as much for the 88-89 gasket:)

d

brendan, was your car grey before?

jd i think your car is pretty clean, nice work to you and the previous owner.

thanks matt for clearing that up. not to jack a post or anything but i was telling superquest that i've used the older gasket 8770pt on all my previous quests with no problem. for my 83 i had to buy an ajusa head gasket when i had the 2.6 in the car which was really worth the $. the only time i had a problem with the older gasket was when i overheated the car just for me being plain dumb, but then again thats an obvious outcome with any head gasket in that situation.

don't get me wrong i totally agree that sometimes you get what you pay for especially when your boosting. i'm just telling my tale from my experiences.

ive run 3 of the earlier style gaskets with no issues. I have one on there now and im going to be boosting 10psi so ill let you know if anything happens.

i know the 88/89 one can hold lots of boost if done right. mine seen 30psi plus afew times because i hooked the mbc up wrong and seen 20psi daily from my 18g for 2 years. the bearing on rod 2 failed not the headgasket. and the stock gasket held great also without a issue tell the head cracked.