Help me rid this lumpy idle

89PalermoSHP

Yes there is definatly some guessing going on... I am not skilled enough to take apart the head though.

Here is the specs for my motor for reference from here on out.

-Completely new marnal head with oversize valves and schnider hd springs.

-new oem rockers, new melling rocker shafts, new wavy washers, new hyd lifters, new springs that go between the rockers

-bottom end was bored for the wiseco .031 oversize pistons

-race prepped rods from dad

-intake was completly rebuilt by kelly

-brand new cts replaced the "used" pos the shop installed

-injectors were sent to rc engineering, recieved as "good", returned as "excellent"

-new oem vac advance

-distributor is in original condition

-i replaced the brand new 17c that had obviously eaten something with a stocker

-new oil pump, oem turbo... the correct one

-balance shaft elim.

Much much more that either doesnt have to do directly with what the issue is or things I am forgetting.

Is a leakdown test something I can do? I have yet to put the oil in the cylinder to see if it improves the compression.

Dad, Im sorry if I was unclear... it was a year ago when a local member named iminhell came over and we did a compression check. His gauge showed 120,115,120,120. I just bought a brand new gauge and it showed me 140,70,140,140 when I checked it yesterday.

I really hope its something as "easy" replacing rings... even still its something I dont feel I am capable of. That translates to more money out of my pocket for a job I already payed someone to do.

Edited by 89PalermoSHP

if you have acess to air pressure it's not hard esp if your new comp gauge has a quick release gauge on it,, if it does all you do is connect an air hose to the gauge hose and with it screw'd into the cyl it will pressureize and show where the leak is,, out the valve cover , means bad rings or piston land,,

pouring oil into the cyl will show almost the same thing if the reading on the gauge jumps up a good bit then you know the rings or ring lands is your problem,,

there is a point where too much oil can be add'd also too little will not make any differance

if there is too much oil the engine may not turn over,,if that happens remove the gauge or spark plug and spin the engine it will spit out the excess oil ,,hold a rag over the plug hole or it will spray oil all over

at this point i'd wish/hope for a broken ring , that'd be the lesser of the posible causes

but keep in mind to do a leak down,,you'l need to make sure the valves are close'd durring the test , so if it's a 5 spd,, place the piston up with it on fireing rotation and lock parking brake and place in 4th gear , this will stop the engine from rotateing,, but if your just doing the wet comp test , just make sure the batt is full charge'd and ALL plugs are out