valve seal replacement

i was wandering if anyone has replaced the valve seals without removing the head? i just rebuilt the motor about 2500 miles ago and i think my valve seals have gone bad, because my car smokes on start up until i drive it up the road. it doesn't seem to smoke after i drive it, even if i let it sit and idle for a little. does this sound like the valve seals could be bad?

you push them on too far and cut them or not enough and they may have came off? or you use those soft foamy kind and not the metal tube kind? take the valve cover off and look at them, yes you can do it with them in the car, you get a compression gauge that has the removable gauge and you put pressurized air into the cylidner you are working on and that will hold the valves up but make sure that the piston in that cylinder is at the BOTTOM or the air will push it there for you and it might go in the wrong direction and cause your timing chain to skip since there is no pressure on the plunger in the pump to take up the chain slack

i had bought a new marnel head from dads machine shop and the seals look like they are 2 pieces. they have a white inner circle around the valve stem and a black rubber around the white piece. the white piece is missing from 3 of the valves. i have an extra set i just didnt feel like pullint the head. so to change them in the car i need to pressurize the cylinder with the piston at the bottom? how much pressure should i use? would a compression check gauge work?

I've done this here at my parents', their air compressor is set to 90psi, I pressurized the cylinder with that, and it worked fine. You will hear air blowing into the crankcase and then blowing up the timing chain area, so don't be alarmed by that. Edited by D_Venable

some compression gauges have a removable gauge at the end of a hose, they did that so you can use it for a few different applications and you just screw the hose into the cylinder then remove the gauge from the other end, that other end is a standard 1/4" air hose male nipple you just hook the end of the hose on your air compressor to that and let the compressor run and that will hold the valves up, you just have to make sure the piston is at the BOTTOM of the cylinder you are working on when you put the pressure into the cylinder. When you see the TDC mark on the timing cover lined up with the crank pulley that means #1 and #4 are UP, 3/4 are at the bottom, turn the crank a half turn and then do 1 and 4

autozone sells one that comes apart you can use I think its about 20.00 they keep them behind the counter

Indiana,

Is that a SQ head in the pics you put up? If so, it looks as though you have actual cam bearings in there; how did you do that? My SQ just tore up my cam journals and I have some galling on the cam caps and head. I am still trying to get a verdict as to whether or not it is fixable r if I have to buy a new head ( the head in question is only 5K miles old...very frustrating)

yes those are cam bearings, it came rebuilt that way, you can order them BUT you have to find a machine shop that has a way to bore the head to do that and not all have them that small or will mess with them cause those heads at that point are usually cracked and have worn guide and need allot work

Well my head has some gaulling on the cam caps as well as some grooving on the cam journals itself. The head is a Marnal casting that is but 5k miles old and spending another $415+ when I just did a few months ago. Where did you get your head rebuilt?

• 2 months later...

Sorry to resurrect a recently deceased thread, but I'm about to attempt the ol' valve seal replacement (w/ the head on) myself. I think I'm pretty much set for it, as I bought OEM seals/guides/springs/jve/etc.. from Dad a while back.

But I HAVE to ask Indiana-- where did you get those seals in that picture?? They look like Edelbrock, no? I was planning on making this a pretty much OEM project, as my car's not that modded, but those look sooo much better than the standard thin mushy foamy ones.

So,

a. Where can I order them?? (I can't find a site online that lists them for the Conquest/Starion).

b. would they be compatible with an otherwise stock valvetrain setup?

The sucky seals with the wire band? They come in Felpro gasket sets, or did along with the good seals. You can get them at Napa I think they are 1.99 each.

...ok, time to fess up to my stupidity. I went and took re-stock on the stuff Dad sent me- and the valve seals are indeed good solid seals. I should know better than to question the quality of Dad's products.

Still, I KNEW I had seen some cheapo umbrella style seals somewhere...but where?? I thought and thought, and finally it occurred to me that I had been looking at rubber-plug style earphones for my mp3 player. and somehow my mind drew a connection to little valve seals. Yes, I'm an idiot.