correct automatic seatbelt operation

bosmass

Just wondering - the manual says that the seatbelts should freeze up in a crash when there is sudden deceleration with the car, not when there is sudden tension on the belt itself. My car is an 88 with the automatic style. Normally, the belts are snug. They do not "freeze" in position when they are tugged on abruptly. This seems to match with what the manual says. Does everyone else's belts operate in the same fashion? In other words, they do not freeze when tugged on, but they do freeze when the car is involved in an accident? I believe this is known as a pendulum style. Thanks.

Yup, front belts are pedulum style. You can yank on them as hard as you want and they'll unspool. Park the car on a steep incline and the belts might not move at all.

Easiest way to test is to just tug on the belts while braking fairly hard. They should be locked up.

mike c.

Just wondering - the manual says that the seatbelts should freeze up in a crash when there is sudden deceleration with the car, not when there is sudden tension on the belt itself. My car is an 88 with the automatic style. Normally, the belts are snug. They do not "freeze" in position when they are tugged on abruptly. This seems to match with what the manual says. Does everyone else's belts operate in the same fashion? In other words, they do not freeze when tugged on, but they do freeze when the car is involved in an accident? I believe this is known as a pendulum style. Thanks.

Whoa. I hope my 87 has the same style as yours. Wonder if there is a way to know for sure. I just thought the retractable thing was just broken. My seat belts seem to do the same thing as yours. This was the scariest thing about driving my Starion. Guess I will have to try the braking while tugging on the belt to find out.

I can vouch personally that they will not lock up normally. But in a crash they will. They also lock up so nicely that you will still be sitting butt firmly planted in your seat upsidedown. Provided you are also wearing your lapbelt.

The computer is just a series of relays that work the moving-mouse motors. It has nothing to do with the belt spools actually locking in an accident - that's purely a mechanical function. As long as the moving-mouse belts are all the way back (so the shoulder belts are doing their jobs) you're okay.

There is a small mechanical "catch" at the very end of the mouse travel; that's what secures the mouse in an accident. With the car parked, try to pull the mouse forwards in the track - it shouldn't budge if the catch is doing its job. If you can make the belt move, then transfer the belt from the moving mouse to the fixed mount at the top of the door - behind the small triangular leather/trim piece at the very back/top edge of the door. That's what that funky allen-wrench like thing (clipped to the inside of the glovebox lid) is for: to remove the phillips screws on the triangular trim piece and then to undo the bolt holding the belt to the mouse and then to tighten that same bolt to the door.

mike c.

The computer is just a series of relays that work the moving-mouse motors. It has nothing to do with the belt spools actually locking in an accident - that's purely a mechanical function. As long as the moving-mouse belts are all the way back (so the shoulder belts are doing their jobs) you're okay.

There is a small mechanical "catch" at the very end of the mouse travel; that's what secures the mouse in an accident. With the car parked, try to pull the mouse forwards in the track - it shouldn't budge if the catch is doing its job. If you can make the belt move, then transfer the belt from the moving mouse to the fixed mount at the top of the door - behind the small triangular leather/trim piece at the very back/top edge of the door. That's what that funky allen-wrench like thing (clipped to the inside of the glovebox lid) is for: to remove the phillips screws on the triangular trim piece and then to undo the bolt holding the belt to the mouse and then to tighten that same bolt to the door.

mike c.

whew! i thought i was going to slide out the seats at times. thanks.