Temp guage sensor.

Can I replace the two prong sensor for the dash temp guage 88-89 with a single prong and still have the dash gauge work by using the yellow/blue wire only? I dont want to spend $90 bucks for a stupid two prong sensor.

I also want to know what I can use because right now all I've got is the ecu temp sensor for my MPI setup, and I need a gauge sensor that will work with the stock gauge, but be new and plentiful, like a GM sensor! :)

• 2 months later...
Can I replace the two prong sensor for the dash temp guage 88-89 with a single prong and still have the dash gauge work by using the yellow/blue wire only? I dont want to spend $90 bucks for a stupid two prong sensor.

WHOLE COW!! $90?!?!?! I got mine for WAY cheaper than that at Advance Auto. But I'm having problems with it though. My gauge doesnt read.

My 88 doesn't have the extra 1-prong connector... though most 87s do have an extra as Richy noted.

The "other" prong on the 88-later 2-prong sensor is an on/off switch; it flips when the coolant temps get warmed up a little bit. This feeds the interior a/c-heater computer so it knows "okay, there's heat in the coolant, switch on the interior heater if the driver asked for it." On cold days/cold engine startups, you'll note the interior heater starts in DEFROST mode, with the fan blower pretty much OFF... then when the engine warms up a little bit this switch tells the computer to go ahead and start putting warm air on your feet.

Just ground this wire if you buy the one-wire sensor... and you'll have to manually turn the heater on/off to avoid cold air on your feet. The auto tranny overdrive might also monitor this switch on the later cars; if so you'll have O/D on a stone-cold engine.

mike c.