Beehive Style valve springs.

emagdnim

I've been looking for a beehive kit, and until now a dual setup was the only way to go, but some research leads me to believe that with the cam I'm wanting to run these will let me rev safely another 1000RPM or so, with less load on the valve train at lower RPM's.

Anyone ever see these available anywhere?

You didnt happen to read the Mopar Magazine (I think Jan or Feb) where they were taking Magnum Heads and reworking them? If not, I read some things in the article that would likely apply directly to our cars. Im at work, but when I got home I will find it.!

if you use lighter valves, you don't need as muc spring in the first place.

A Titanium G54B vlave is ~40% lighter than stock 8)

That's not correct.

The spring pressure is purely determined by the camshafts ramp rate and engine rpm.

What? Spring pressure is determined by the spring and how it's made. for different heights of lift, the pressure increases, but only because of the natural action of a spring.

Oh, and by the way, you are wrong about increasing pressure with "beehive" style springs. you can have less spring pressure for the same performance as a regular spring. lighter weight because the retainer is way smaller. more lift because they bind at higher lift than a regular spring.

Spring pressure is a function of the springs resistance to compresson, and determines how hard it will push back on the vlave when the cam lobe passes. The entire purpose of a spring is to close the valve after the cam lobe has passed. A lighter vlave is easier to close, less intertia.

cam ramp rate and engine RPM do indeed determine the minimum spring pressure needed to close the valve in sync with the cam lobe, but you are missing the inertia part of this equasion.

Valves like all matter resist sudden changes in movement (inertia) such as a reciprocating valve assembly. lighten the mass and that resistance is also reduced.

An aggressive cam at high RPM needs lots to spring pressure to move that valve closed quickly. Lighten the valve and it's easier to close quickly (thus less spring pressure needed).

Less spring pressure also means less load on the entire timing assembly.

72# Stock vlaves/springs float arround 6000 RPM. 100# schneider springs don't seem to float even to 8000 RPM on a semi-high lift cam (personal experiance). Adding 120# pound springs are a good idea for super lift cams (.500"+), but if you can lighten the valves, you can probaly get the same performance with the 100# springs, and you free up reciprocating mass wich all by itself = HP gains.

Yes the higher spring pressures help keep the valve from "floating" at higher RPMS.

Also make sure to check the closed height of the spring. The higher lift cams can cause the spring to bind. To know you take the "Valve closed height" - the "spring solid height" - .060 for safety. That measurement should be more than the camshaft lift height.

Thats just if some of you didn't know. And were planning on getting your own springs.