2nd nitrous stage

Well, I was kinda bored today and decided to play with the setup a little. I had a spare fuel solenoid floating around and some spare lines, so I turned my 'purge' into a second stage of nitrous. The first stage is a dry 50 shot, that is introduced through the zex air filter, makes its way through the intercooler piping, intercooler, ovcp, and into the intake. A long route to travel but really cools off air intake temps greatly and that is probably where the majority of the added power comes from.

With a dry shot, there is no need to purge so my neighbor put the idea in my head that since I am out of injector with the current setup, to set up a second wet stage tunable with jets instead of increasing my dry stage using megatune to add fuel as needed. Sounded easy enough, and it was. All I did was replace my purge line copper tubing with stainless braided line to the nitrous side of the fogger jet. Then, using some spare brass fittings we had, we rerouted some of the tb-pro-2 fuel rail fittings to connect the fuel solenoid right off it, and run another short stainless line to the fuel side of the fogger jet. I just wired the fuel solenoid into the nitrous solenoid that used to be purge, and now they both activate off the old 'purge' (now 'second stage') button. I still need to set the final resting place for the jetting. I am debating just tapping into the coupler and using a backer on it. I have been told that with a small shot like that - that it is not a problem at all. And if I ever pull it off, all I need to do is replace the coupler - no need to plug any holes in the piping or the throttle body. Right now it is just set there as a mock up.

This will basically be for 1/4 mile only... at about the 1/8th marker I am just into 4th gear and at wide open throttle. Take a peak at all the gauges and watch the wideband like a hawk - if everything looks happy, just kick off the 2nd stage via the button and just get that little extra umph for the second part of the track. Hoping to get up to about a 50 shot for the 2nd stage and we'll see if the old girl will hold together. :)

Anyhow, just thought I'd post a pic and see what you guys think. With the dry shot cooling the intake temps dramatically and adding a little extra power, and the 2nd wet shot at WOT and more towards top end, this could be a pretty decent combo. Hoping to get to Ennis this Friday the 11th and see what happens.

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10171/stage2.JPG

Updated pic of the finalized mount:

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10171/stage2jetting.JPG

• 1 month later...
hey I like your injection system would you mind telling me were you got it how much it was and if you are using a new ecu and what it is thanks I want a magna but im only 16 and cant put out that kind of money and is you car an AOD and what shot are you running on both stages thanks alot

hey I like your injection system would you mind telling me were you got it how much it was and if you are using a new ecu and what it is thanks I want a magna but im only 16 and cant put out that kind of money and is you car an AOD and what shot are you running on both stages thanks alot

Go to www.fuelinjectionpro.com and look at the tb-pro-IIr system. It comes with the ecu, injectors, wiring harness, sensors - the works. Very similar to a megasquirt and uses the same tuning software megatune. The ecu that this system runs on can also run a magna. That is my plan is to eventually go either magna or hurricane MPI and continue using the same ECU that I already paid for / installed. Pro-2 is a great stepping stone and makes a huge difference, at least for me it did.

What is "AOD"?

And the first stage dry shot is a 50 shot, and the second stage is a 50 wet shot. First stage comes in through the zex air filter with a fitting for the jet - it cools the intake air temps dramatically because it goes through the entire intake piping, intercooler, etc. After a 1/4 mile run, my air intake temps are barely over 100 degrees and thats on a hot texas day. :-)

Looks good, I like the setup! I noticed right away that your using a nitrous braided line on your fuel and a fuel line for you nitrous, lol, I assume that was just b/c of the setup. The motor should hold together fine, and I bet you'll be smiling ear to ear! :D

As far as mounting, I have mine in my stock OVCP, but still put a zip tie around it just in case. I'm not worried about it falling out b/c of nitrous pressure, I am more worried about the boost popping it out.

lol, yeah I know about the red/blue fittings incorrect but those are just what I had left over and one of those lines is an extension form the solenoid and it was the only way they would fit. Didn't feel like buying two additional lines because of color alone. hehe

I was concerned about the mounting through the coupler at first, but after I did it and saw how sturdy it is, I cannot see it ever popping out for any reason. There is a washer and a lock not along with loctite on the inside - I don't see it ever coming out. But hey... if it does, I'll just reconfigure.

What are the jets sizes you are using for your's? You have a 50 wet shot right? I'll have to double check but I am pretty sure I have a .038 nitrous and .020 fuel jet or something close to that at least.

• 3 weeks later...
How did you mount the fogger in the coupler? I like it......

Just a small hole, pushed it through and have a washer and lock nut (along with some loc tite) on the inside, and a washer on the outside - it tightened down nicely and barely budges... works for me :)

becareful with those brass fittings that's why those two cars caught fire they broke off

Thats not good... Is there a better type of fitting to use? I've redone them since those pics because I started to develope a minor leak... when dismantling that original setup, one of the 90 degree ones did crack but I had them torqued down real tight to avoid such a leak. That along with the pipe dope and it still didn't hold for very long.

So now, I don't have them torqued down very hard at all - they are just hand snugged and sealed with an epoxy (ok, jb weld, but whos counting). But I'm always open to other suggestions. As for right now, they seem to be holding up perfect, but as always, time will tell.

Can you post some close ups of your first stage. I'm curious how that works out having to travel so far. But you havn't had any problems? I want 1 stage just like a 50 shot but didnt know if I could mount it that far away.

Braden

I just replaced the regular cone filter with this:

http://www.compperformancegroupstores.com/store/graphics/00000008/400-220_EjectorAirAmp_001.jpg

Since I am running FIP Tb-pro-2, I don't have a MAS to worry about... there is a fitting in the front of the air filter that the jet sits in, and attach the stainless line direct. The nitrous is injected there, goes through the entire system - intercooler and all, and just follows the standard air intake path. The main power gain from this is the incredible decrease in temps along with the extra air molecules that the nitrous provides, its a pretty good combo. As long as you have a method to tune for it, it's very simple. I have my specific nitrous tune dumping a bunch more fuel at WOT and my AFR is dead on at 11.7:1 while spraying. A few WOT pulls and datalogging and was able to dial it in pretty easily with megatune.