bodywork section or maybe stickies in Body mods needed...

Fattire4me

8)

Fanta had a good idea...we have a mechanics & eletronics section (but perhaps we NEED A BODY REPAIR section or stickies that not only show the results but step by step instructions for people w/o bodywork experience!)

http://www.starquestclub.com/forums/viewto...&highlight=

Now this is worthy of a sticky...

http://www.starquestclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26071

• 1 month later...

Not a bad idea at all. I bet I would spend some time in there. :wink:

Maybe let the body mod thing come over to the body forum, and leave the interior mod section all by itself? Sometimes it is difficult to try to split up what I do into either a body mod or a restoration thread. A body section could cover it all.

This is what I had planned originally for the 'restoration forum'. I had big plans of linking to the knowledge base sections of some of the huge restoration forums like hotrodders.com, autobody101, etc etc etc. I use to have good stickies on proper bondo techniques, good interior restoration links, etc etc....but the pictures and links changed with time so I unstickied them.

I personally haven't had the chance to filter out the 'junk' in the restoration forum and add this type of material. I also became frustrated in that most starquest owners could care less on the proper methods of restoring the bodies of these cars....they mostly cared about just patching the rust holes up cheeply and quickly while they spent their time buying and tuning in the drivetrain...............this will change though because our cars are starting to hit the point where the rust is too bad to simply patch. I even stopped taking the time on explaining all the steps in my own thread on the restoration of my blue conquest...it just seemed to me that not many people cared and it was wasting my time....maybe I'm wrong about it but it just feels that way.

I have no problem in changing the name of the restoration forum and altering it as needed. I could use some help though because my time has been limited over the past year. So if a few members would like to create some postings with good links and technical information on body repair, I'll be happy to move them to whatever forum we desire and sticky them as needed.

I'll get some going once the house is on the market- I've got nothing but time. Feel free if you want any input on the whole deal.

I do think people care about it and like knowing how to do the stuff. I get a ton of people asking how I do stuff, so it would be easier to have threads on it to reference. I also like to send people to autobody101.

I think seeing the steps gives people a little more courage to try it themselves, so the more info the better. I do see people take the info I give them and run with it. Sometimes they don't do it as listed and think they can cut corners and it turns out bad. The majority do it right, but it would still be nice to be able to show people why they need to do the steps involved.

Oh, and one more thing. My biggest complaint in the way that it's setup now is that I don't know where to put stuff. There have been times where I list something in the resto forum because its a huge all inclusive deal. I'll do all the body work, all the paint, and put it all in one thread. Then later, because I did like 3 body mods, I hear someone tell me I should have put the whole thing in the body mod section.

I think the rstoration forum is cool and a good source for people to list their cars' ressurections, but a forum stricktly for body purposes would serve us better than the body mods/interior forum. Then people doing a full resto can have their writeup, maybe touch a little on the fact that their car got repainted, but link to the other forum if they want to detail their body mods/full body makeover and paint. The body section could have stuff as simple as best ways to do touch up paint, all the way up to projects along the lines of what you're doing or that car that IDKWhy was building.

These are just ideas I had. May work out, may not.

I've got a number of SQ body projects coming up. Some simple repairs, some body mods, and also some different paint schemes. If you're gonna take the initiative to get a good body forum together, I'll promise to do more in-depth write-ups of what I do, along with more and better description pics.

my 2.6 cents.

I'd just love the opportunity to sponge up some of this knowledge!