Haltech users, easy install?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I've had my car (1987 conquest tsi) put together for over a year and neither I or my mechanic can get the Haltech working right. It runs and thus far builds 380whp but we're stuck at 5500 rpm. The injector 42# is 100% duty cycle. I do have a 19# injector that we were trying to get running in a stagged setup however have failed miserably.

Here is my setup

50# fuel pressure, very strong aftermarket fuel pump

19# injector, would like to use as primary

42# injector, should be used as secondary

all forged internals, JE pisons, Pouder Rods and stock forged crank

the head was flowed and has 190 on intake and 160 on exhaust

Stanless valves

total seal piston rings

haltech e11v2

4 coil setup

t3/t4 ceramic BB oil/water turbo

aftermarket aftercooler

large tboday (40mm i believe)

haltech wideband 02 sensor and meter

3bar map sensor

cam sensor

I believe that is all the important goodies.

My question is do you have a map that will be helpful? perhaps somebody out there is familiar enough with the setup to create something that will be helpful. My mechanic is used to working on AEM EMS and is very familiar with the settings of Haltech but isn't able to get the setup right on this one for some reason. We're basically having issues with the fuel. He took off the 19# injectors and is able to get the 42# working at max capabilities however we're only able to get it up to 5500 rpm until were at 100% duty cycle. We'd have more fuel if we could get the stagged injection working right. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance for all your help folks

If you go to www.rceng.com and use their injector calculator, you will find you are using injectors that are too small to start with, no amount of tuning will fix that.

Many use 75# injectors and have no problems associated wtih oversized injectors (poor idle). Infact, many report better idle than they had with TBI.

I have a Haltec E6X that instaled but couldn't get it to start, I belive the pickup is not working so I'm in the midst of gettign a different type of sensor setup for it (using a CAS). This will be a problem with most aftermarket setups, gettign a reliable trigger. 88Whitestarion has had similar problems, dont' know if they are resolved as of yet. His was unreliable above 5500 RPM.

I went bact to an SDS system because they are pretty much fool proof and dead-solid reliable. I've taken this to 8200 RPM and 23 PSI on a large T-4 may times with no issues at all. I do plan on going back to the E6X when I get the new trigger wheel setup, Haltec has better features.

Well, nowadays my set-up is completely different.

My car is on a DSM CAS with the Haltech e6x on 4G63 DSM maps.

I have 1600cc injectors... so my maps wont work with your set-up at all...and you have a e11 which is different as well.

Columbusquest.. I PM'd you awhile ago are you still here in Columbus? I would love to see you car.

Yes, like Chad said your injectors are way to small.

If you go to www.rceng.com and use their injector calculator, you will find you are using injectors that are too small to start with, no amount of tuning will fix that.

Many use 75# injectors and have no problems associated wtih oversized injectors (poor idle). Infact, many report better idle than they had with TBI.

I'm lost

sounded to me like he's running haltec on TBI.

I've contacted Haltech and they, as usuall, ask what version of software and build i'm using. Geez, is the computer so bugged up that it runs dramatically different with each build? I doubt it....

Moving on, I sent them the info and waiting to hear back. I've also asked my mechanic to send me a ZIP of the MAP so I can forward it over to Haltech. I haven't heard from the mechanic yet. He's had the car for nearly 5 months and I bet he hasn't had his hands on it more than 5 days. He's a busy guy however I would like to see him work on a first come first serve basis. Seems that he's constantly pushing the hard stuff back in favor of getting the easy stuff out of the way. Seems reasonable, unless your the guy without a car for 5 months.

emagdnim, I sent you a Yahoo IM request. I'd be more than happy to show you my TSI. It's a nice ride but starting the polishing is starting to dull because it's not been in my possession to keep her polished. You'll have to wait a few days till I get her back. She's still in the mechanics hands but I should have it back this week.