MPI piping sizes

If you look at the intercooler, it already exits on the battery side.

There is just a pipe that curls back to the passenger side.

Cut it off and have a stub piece welded back on.

*DMperformance has a MPI hard pipe kit.

I believe it comes with the stubs to mod your intercooler.

Yes, I am aware it exits and curls back. My concern was cutting it and finding a way to get a rolled edge so the piping isn't popping off. :lol: I just hate having to do a lot of fabrication but I guess there is no way around it. I may go with a larger intercooler anyways and will look into the *DM stuff. After four years of sitting, my car came back to life in July with a rebuilt motor but I have been plagued with fuel management issues with the stock set up. I get 10mpg and now 1st and 3rd are popping out while driving. :x

Thanks guys!

You can take your pipes to a shop to have the lip added. What I did is put a bead of weld around the pipe. This worked well and was quick to do. Also you can make a tool to add a lip to the pipes.

I saw a DIY article on this. Someone modified pair of vise grips to make the lip.

Shawn

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

With that said, I have an update.

I'll be using a 65mm TB on Chad's intake, and will be having pipes made to go with an old FUSO IC 8) . Yes, the endpipes will be hacked off since they are only 2".

The smaller 16g will be staying for a while, but later I'm thinking of a moderate turbo upgrade, probably like a GT3076R. I won't be looking to boost beyond 20psi, so spooling is a priority.

Seems like the standard 2.5" would do just fine. If any of you think 2.25" would suit my needs better please pipe up.

2.5" should be good for you. I did some research before choosing my IC size. 2.5" was right for me.

Here's a link I saved that's a short read with good info.

http://www.natesbox.com/tuning/tuning.asp

Look at the Feb 11'th post.

I also didn't have to relocate the battery. I removed the washer bottle and ran it through there and then out from under the battery box. I still need to do something about the washer bottle. I have a few ideas to try. The ideas will have to wait, seeing I'm 5000+ miles plus away from home on the other side of the world.

Shawn

Thanks. I guess what I need to do is figure out the highest potential flow rates needed by my future turbo and see if 2.25 would be too small for that. 2.5" would be the safe route for any I might go with.

I plan on relocating the battery to the rear and running the IC to intake pipes straight up the driver's side. No extra crossover piping.

Are any of you running 2.25" IC piping with a big turbo?

I'm not running 2.25" as of now. I was running 2.25" chocked off by the 1 7/8" IC piping on a large turbo. So it went 2.25" from the turbo to IC then the tiny IC pipe, in and out, then to 2.25" from the IC t the TB.

I know it was super restrictive, but it worked for the time being. I have a large IC on now with 2.5" pipe, so I'm hoping the turbo spools a lot faster.

Shawn

So you had 2.25" piping, but smaller IC endcaps? Yeah, for some reason TEP's OVCP had a restriction down to the stock IC pipe size of 1 7/8" ID. Probably because they didn't offer anything to cut off/replace the stock IC endpipes like *DM does.

That's what I have now...full *DM 2.25". NO complaints from that so far. :)

• 4 weeks later...
So you had 2.25" piping, but smaller IC endcaps? Yeah, for some reason TEP's OVCP had a restriction down to the stock IC pipe size of 1 7/8" ID. Probably because they didn't offer anything to cut off/replace the stock IC endpipes like *DM does.

That's what I have now...full *DM 2.25". NO complaints from that so far. :)

Sorry I didn't see this before. Yes, I was 2.25" and chocked off by the 1 7/8" IC piping.

I just finished all I needed to after the IC upgrade with the EDIS added and ditched the stock distrib. I really haven't driven it far. About 3/4 of a mile, because it's not inspected. But after the IC upgrade and having a true 2.5" IC and hard pipes. I noticed a HUGE difference in spooling. Revving it alone it can build some boost. Driving it, I can't believe how fast it spools. Under light throttle pulling away, it starts to spool and sounds like a semi turbo. Getting on it it's almost instant boost. At 17psi on a bad tune the tires start to break loose in first.

Before with the 2.25" IC piping and 1 7/8" IC pipe, spooling was a little slow to 7psi, then it built boost fast. Now there's not waiting for boost. Opening up the system made a huge difference!

I used reference from this page on choosing my pipe size. Also, 2.5" was easy to run.

http://www.natesbox.com/tuning/tuning.asp

The Feb 11th post is what to look at.

Shawn