88 starion - looking to get and restore

ok guys,

found a starion in pa that i am makeing a day to setup and go look at it.....body doesnt look bad from what i seen expect for it will need a front fender,rear tail lights and by the sounds of it it needs interior......problem is with this car is the rusted pass frame rail.....was wondering what u all thought of this....pic of this frame is at bottom of page...

thanks,

leo

http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/9441/07140616045tc.th.jpg

It is very common for that to rust on these cars and is an easy fix. Check the drivers frame for the same thing as well. The drivers frame usually rusts on the inner side next to the slave cylinder. The drivers frame is harder to fix because the fuel lines run right against it.

Cut out the rusted metal. Form a channel out of a piece of 1/8" stock and weld it in. This will be stronger than new.

I repaired both rails on my daily driver with 1/8" steel in one day.

I also repaired both rails in my 87 restoration project by drilling out the original spot welds, removing the rail and replacing it with an OEM unit. However Mitsubishi no longer carries the OEM rails.

kev