Hatch Spoiler.. [Update: DONE]

typer

the server will be up in a few hours.

In that Hi res picture are all numbers and everything, you can wait untill i will make tutorial for it :) but if you have access to machine to bend steel plates you can easylie do it.

sry bad english, icelandic boy here ;)

Keep in mind, there is a 1 1/2" strip of metal that goes from side-to-side that attaches to the glass with two-sided tape to keep it from rattling/moving around. Also, about 12" in from each side is a triangular brace that attaches to the metal strip to support the middle span of the spoiler. Hope that helps with your project...I know alot of people who want these.

Please make it really good so I can Purchase one from you and not have to do it myself...

Lexan is perfect because it can be painted on the underside, or left clear, or you can get "smoked"/ Tinted Lexan.

It should be NO LESS than 1/4" thick material, But 1/2" would be the "correct" thickness, must consider Air Pressure/ Force applied to the surface of the wing during deflection.

It will need a center post with a rubber "shock absorber" to re-enforce the wing span and keep it from flexing.

the ends can be "clamped" to the edges of the frame on either side of the hatch glass, you could even make metal plates to allow you to extend the mounting surface over the glass, and it doesn't require a great deal of clamping force to secure it- so you would not have to worry about cracking the glass.

Your design is perfect and resembles the large Supra wing from the 80's cars. there was one guy who made that same wing, He and I communicated several time and he was going to make some more of those wings then he vanished...

If you really want to blow me away- make it out of 6061 Aluminium - I would even front you the funds to purchase the supplies- but, I would need a time commitment from you for production and delivery of that piece. If I have to make it myself (for the chassis project) that is my intention to do it in Aluminium and give it a brushed finish and use Black anodized machined hardware with nylocs & teflon washers....

Let me know- I would love for some young club member to participate in this project and actually produce a ONE-OFF part... How Awesome!!!!

(not to mention, I wouldn't have to do it myself!)

You can E-Mail me directly at IDKwhy@aol.com or even call me at (703)926-2663- if I can offer ANY ASSISTANCE>>>

KEEP UP YOUR GREAT EFFORTS- you never know what opportunities, they can turn into for you

Keep in mind, there is a 1 1/2" strip of metal that goes from side-to-side that attaches to the glass with two-sided tape to keep it from rattling/moving around. Also, about 12" in from each side is a triangular brace that attaches to the metal strip to support the middle span of the spoiler. Hope that helps with your project...I know alot of people who want these.
rivets same way they made the louvers, those are just simple bends and a few rivets then a punch to hold the slats in the ends and that was done by hand, the holes aren't even close to even spacing I think they must have had sweat shop labor make em!

sorry for that big post yours, i'm from iceland and i don't think you would like to pay all the sending cost... it's big!!

But i'm using aluminum 1mm thik.

But do you guys know how they attatch it to the window..?

you seen glass doors in cabinets? like a home rack stereo? a u bend piece of flat metal with two holes tapped in and you use two small bolts and tighten those against a thin metal strip with a rubber pad and that should hold it to the glass, you can rivet the clamp on the top where you see it and put the bolts on the bottom side and tighten those too the hatch glass frame if you didn't want to tighten to the glass

you might also consider putting a bend in the lead and trailing edge to reduce flexing, 1mm might be a bit thin, if it flexs too much it will start to crack maybe 3mm be better

• 1 month later...
I like your idea and where your goin with it but you need to go with a much thicker alloy. Looks like you got ruffy .025 there. You should have at least .060 with braces you can rivet on or tig weld on. Looks pretty good tho 8)

The site you are trying to access has been blocked.

If you are trying to reach a dynamic DNS hosted site, this block is intentional and for security reasons.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please email here if you think you have reached this page in error.

ill host your site on my phrozen ice site

go to the "digital" section and upload your site under a new folder and ill put it up

just let me know you uploaded it