gull wing doors

OBSESSIVE_ENT.

Sup Everybody

Another crazy idea i had was to convert to gull wing doors

there must have been a model made (i saw a scale model for sale on ebay).

what would you think the cost would be (aside from the arm and leg)?

anybody knows anyone that would do it for bout 5 grand???

actually, the way the gullwing doors are designed is that they don't really open outward. the hing is at the top of the roof, so that it opens in more of an upward swoop. wish i had a pic to demonstrate. there is very littl risk in hitting other's doors with the gullwing design.

actually, the way the gullwing doors are designed is that they don't really open outward. the hing is at the top of the roof, so that it opens in more of an upward swoop. wish i had a pic to demonstrate. there is very littl risk in hitting other's doors with the gullwing design.

Yes, i'd say there's less of a risk than what we all have to deal with already. :)

It'd be a cool thing to have though, considering there's only 5 or 6 that were ever built. 3 being done from the factory in Japan, and 2 more that were converted over through the factory after the owners bought them.

I wish the factory back in japan still did the mod. Im going to put lambos on and call it a day. because if i hit my ribs opening the door one more time...

Actually, i checked out a coach builder and he told me to get tru lambo hinges would be an arm and a leg plus the door's back slash-like curve would have made it impossible. He told me the only other way is to use the "swing out then up" hinge. I mean they look the part so i wouldnt mind.

I am kinda leary about buying them off ebay but that seems the way im going.

Also any of you photo editors out there can make a sample of our car with a rally roof scoop? I wanted to make a functioning one to cool my ampifires

• 2 weeks later...

ive kicked it around a few times and if i ever get enough drugs in my system, ill most likely try it.

as for those lambo hinges on ebay. i highly suggest against it. i say you go to a car show and actually check out some installed on the car. talk to the owner and ask if you can feel the doors move and try them out. unless they are just a total jerk then they will most likely not nind if it helps a fellow enthusiast. most of the cheap hinges ive seen leave the door wobly when they are lifted and i would not trust my doors to a cheap set of crappy hinges.

THE HINGES FROM G FACTORY ARE THE STRONGEST WITH DOUBLE STRUTS FOR EACH DOOR BUT DAMN 1500 BUXKS. THERE ARE PEOPLE ON EBAY THAT BUY THE KITS IN BULK AND SELL THEM BUT ITS HARD TO FIGURE OUT WHOS WHO

I MAY JUST GET IT FROM AUTOLOC ALSO.

IN OTHER WORDS IM WAITING FOR TAX MONEY LOL

all i can say is your money, your doors, and im glad its yours not mine.

i have used some of autoloc's products and they are pretty good, but i cant really attest to these hinges. im a fabricator to and i have yet to see any one of these kits that i feel like are strong enough to hold the weight of a conquest door. those kits are aimed at hondas and the like. im willing to bet a quest door is 2 times the weight of a honda door.

How's this

http://images5.theimagehosting.com/Gullwing-Door-Quest.gif

Just a quick gif I made

Derek

pretty cool pic derek.

unfortunately the quest door just doesnt lend itself well to either method. i think the gullwings would be the coolest but the door shape, fender area, and weekness of the door frame combined with a cheap flimsy roof, would make this an engineering nightmare as well as a real pisser to any fabricator. i wish it was more theasible but it just isnt.

anyone ever managed to get any close up pics of how the japanese cars was built.