Tubular K frames and rear frames

iw as thinking about how I could make the car a bit more nimble or even light on its feet....

There has to be a decent amount of weight to be lost in replacing the front K member with a tubular one... and especially the rear one... I know it would all be custom made but I have a guy who could do it no problem and he is not all that expensive ( he builds pro stock cars as well)

I wonder how much weight could be saved

any one have any weight figures for either or both of those frames?

I'v got the front and rear sub frames in my garage off a car (dont ask why, I'm a damn packrat! lol) I'll try to weigh them this weekend.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
And if you're building a tubular k-member, might as well build it to have a rack & pinion steering and save another 60lbs off the front! Plus the obvious benefits ofn the rack and pinion system.

And if you're building a tubular k-member, might as well build it to have a rack & pinion steering and save another 60lbs off the front! Plus the obvious benefits ofn the rack and pinion system.

other than weight, what makes the rack and pinion the better of the 2?

Yeah, personally I don't mind the stock setup. It is vague and doesn't provide much useful force back, but it does operate very easily without much resistance.

who wants to feel what's going on on the road surface anyway? I have poly bushings and I feel enough as it is, lol.

But, I will say that lightening up these beasts is a good goal.

we need to make aluminum differential and torque tube castings lol.