TSI AND ESIR

DARTH

CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT TSI AND ESIR STAND FOR?

I HAVE HAD A FEW STARQUEST AND NEVER THOUGHT TWICE ABOUT

WHAT THEY STAND FOR UNTIL SOMEONE JUST ASKED

T turbo S sport I intercooled  ????

ESIR???

THANKS

Conquest LE

All of your questions would be answered if you'd check out the StarQuest History... Scroll down to the bottom of the page to get the model-year specific.  It's not 100% correct, but it's the best we've got as of right now.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

1984 and 1985 -- "ES", Euro-Sport

1985 1/2 -- "ESI", Euro-Sport Intercooled

1986 thru 1989 -- "ESI-R"  Rally (Widebody Style)

Why on earth Mitsubishi dropped the "-R" to create ESI models without LSD and ABS in 88 and 89 is beyond my reasoning.

Turbo Sport Intercooled?  What about Eagle Vision TSi's and Grand Cherokee TSi ? I doubt any of those have ever seen a turbo and intercooler :)  Where there conquest's that were not badged TSI?

In the mid-80's why did computers have "Turbo" labeled on their case?  Why did disposible razors have "Turbo" on their packaging?  Marketing.  

"TSI" became a marketing tool for Chrysler in a similar manner that "SS" became a tool for Chevrolet with the introduction of the Impala SS.  

There is a big performance difference between Conquest TSi and Grand Cherokee TSi.  There is a big performance difference between Camaro/Chevelle SS of the 60's and Impala SS.  Of course, the Camaro SS of the late 90's and early 2000 is worthy of the "SS" badge.