Intra-Site IM's...

UltimateLurker

Wouldn't that be trick if we could PM a registered member when you see their name logged on?

I'd be stoked if we could do that, how hard is such a thing?

You can do that now, can't you? Click on their name in the menu and click "Send this member a private message." in their profile.

Or are you looking for popping up a window on their screen?

I don't know, with YIM, AIM, and MSN messenger already out there, it seems like that might be re-inventing the wheel. I might be cool, but I'm gonna stick to just working on getting the code written to do the basic site functionality done first before I think about anything tricky like this...

Yeah, like Napster used to have, you could see who you were d/l'ing from and pop them, like Gabe used to do to me to show off...lol, only a conversation window.

What do you think?

FYI, that was a simple "Net Send" message. It's built into most versions of Windows (NT4, 2000, XP). If you're not connected to a business network, you might want to stop and disable the "Messenger" service (not to be confused with MSN Messenger). Besides, if you're using broadband, you really should have a firewall of some sorts, which would block these messages.

Ryd - I really don't see how it's re-inventing the wheel, did Yahoo think that with their IM?  How about ICQ?  The wheel is already here, I'm talking about accessibility, that's all.

So, you're saying that one day you're surfing through threads, you see a guys post that has some great info...just what you want to do with your car.  You look over, he's online.  You click his username and there's an email address, but no IM, now you start to think...."man, it'd just be re-inventing the wheel to be able to IM this guy right now"...lol.  Whathefreakever.

Dude, accessibility, do you own a wireless phone?  C'mon, it's the NET.

I know, I know, you'll get to it in '07, but hey, it'll be cool I assure you :).