shaving antena

Any one done this?  It seems like all youd have to do is fill in the hole in the wing and sand it smooth.  I dont ever listen to the radio and even if i did want to internal antennas arent that expensive.  My antenna is stuck up and bent to hell and id rather have it gone than put another on it. plus the signal wire might still be good to plug into my amp.

a can of foam and a gillette razor does the trick... mine was as hairy as a weilderbeast before I did this mod..

You might want to consider an Australian one, they sit on the roof, quite tasteful.

I picked up a Flax Euro antenna and modified the rear washer nozzle opening a little and relocated the antenna there.... Looks pretty sharp to me.   Have a pic somewhere.....

http://www.eautoworks.com/productImages/spw_Sh_ant.jpg

never cared for the rear wiper or antenna setup anyway.

I was going to wait til i was ready for paint and have a body shop shave the hump and fill the antenna and rear wiper area ........

but would like to give it a shot if anyone has GOOD instruction from an actual mod

im going to do this.  i have an 84 so i dont have the spoiler but i found some internal antennas online that stick to the inside of your window and they are small black boxes so you can do away with the antenna for good.  Im going to get one and put in on the rear triangle window so i can use the stock antenna cable.  I dont have a link or any info on these but they are out there.

my buddy bought one of these he said it worked great but dont f*** it up becuase pealing it off makes it pretty noticable.  Its just a little wire stuck to some scotch looking tape.  but on the rear triangle i bet itd dissapear pretty good.

Yep, I got rid of my stock antenna as well and relocated a new Hirschmann amplified antenna to the back of the roof, instead of the washer nozzle. ;D Oh, and got rid of the nozzle, bottle, hoses and motor for the washer. Then just filled and smoothed the hole where the original antenna was.

The reception is a little better, since the antenna's higher. I saved the collar that bolts to the underside of the antenna and cut off part of the mast to make the hole smaller. Then I just filled with Bondo, sanded, and painted.

Rich, you didn't pay much attention at the last meet, but I was sport'n the antenna delete also. ;)   I had to do something, the generic antenna HOT GLUED in place was not cutting it  .

The problem comes in when you want to smooth the "buldge" on the side of the spoiler.    The spoiler is made of a medium density foam material coated in a flexible surface.  That buldge is there for a purpose and if you start grinding on the buldge you will get through the flexible surface material and leave fairly thin foam.  I don't think paint would be able to flex enough to cope with the movement of the soft foam.  So you have to reinforce the back where the antenna was so the foam can't flex as much.  To do this I used fiberglass to plug the hole and provide some backbone.

Since I wasn't sure if the foam was paintable I also put a new flexible surface on the foam and over the hole.  I used some of the flexable epoxy I fixed my airdam with as a new surface material.  Another reason to use a flexible skin is to eliminate possible cracks between the flexible surface and the hard fiberglass.  It worked great, If I had something besides a rattle can it would look pretty good.

mm

DJ_Lazareck (sp?) did mine. once my mom gets home with our camera i'll go out and take some pics. he also eliminated the little bump on the side of the spoiler where the antenna used to be. deffinately looks 10 times better.

My 88 should be done soon (after 6 months in the body shop). I wanted the antenna and bulge deleted as well and Im mounting a VW Fuba style antenna which I also did on my prev 86 Starion. My friend-AKA body guy said it wasnt as simple as you would think, at least not to do a quality job which wouldnt cause the paint to crack in a year or two.  He has also deleted the rear wiper and flushed it as well as several other things...although the bike style filler cap fantasy has not been fufilled as I dreamed due to low time and finances. I will post pics and consult him on a how to soon enough. I have been really busy lately with my personal life in turmoil and in the process of launching a new car dealership here in CT. I cant wait to show all the car when its done or when I have time to take and post all the pics.

My previous Starion had a Fuba style antenna and the reception was perfect. Its a subtle mod which really updates the car without losing any of the cars great styling. I m even considering a "shark style" fin from an E46/E65 BMW but I dont know if it would look as good.

Brett

I will post pics and consult him on a how to soon enough. I have been really busy lately with my personal life in turmoil and in the process of launching a new car dealership here in CT. I cant wait to show all the car when its done or when I have time to take and post all the pics.

Brett

Sorry to hear that bro, keep ya head up man.. If someone gives you lip, pop'em in the mouth and tell em..  "I DON'T F#$% AROUND!"  LOL ;D  Then go back to Cali.. ;D

I still have a couple pics you emailed to me a month or so back..

• 1 month later...
I picked up a Flax Euro antenna and modified the rear washer nozzle opening a little and relocated the antenna there.... Looks pretty sharp to me.   Have a pic somewhere.....

http://www.eautoworks.com/productImages/spw_Sh_ant.jpg

never cared for the rear wiper or antenna setup anyway.

I was going to wait til i was ready for paint and have a body shop shave the hump and fill the antenna and rear wiper area ........

but would like to give it a shot if anyone has GOOD instruction from an actual mod

I am in the middle of shaving the wiper and attena, where can you get that atenna?