No-one knows to come over here

Shawn_Silva

The other site had a big flashy front page with this new site IP when Ryddler let it out of the bag.  Now that it seems stable, none of the newbie's even know it exists.  I think the forum will expand rapidlly if the following is changed:

Well, we were live for a few hours

but, it seems that the domain host I chose was unable to handle as many as 16 - 20 users at a time (a ridiculously low number) so the search for a host that **can** host is in progress.

Take care

Shawn

Given the bloated-slow state we're in right now, I think that's not such a bad thing... In fact, we may want to consider moving back over there while work is going on, unless I find a way to import all the new postings into whatever format we work out...

I just dont get it with the speed.  Today, with 10 users total on, it seems quite zippy overall.  Other days with 4 users on, it takes minutes to load.

I have noticed when your online, it takes longer.  Is this possible?

Take care

Shawn

No, whether I'm on or not shouldn't matter any more than whether you're

on or not.  ;) The problems lie in the fact that almost everything in the forums comes from files that have to be opened and closed all the time, and the fact that sometimes there is a wait while someone else has a particular file locked.

Every user has the info stored in a file.

Each user's flag is stored in a different file.

Your messages are in yet another.

Your OutBox still another.

Now picture this every time you open a forum thread with all 15 posts in the page. Your user file is opened to verify your login. Your messages are opened to count the number, and determine how many are read. Now for each poster in the thread, their user info is opened to add all the fluff. Then their flag file is opened to read the flag name. The users online file is opened to list online users. and of course the message file itself has to be opened. If it is a poll thread, the poll info file has to be opened to display the question, answers, and count. And let's not forget the calendar...

Right here by just opening the thread to view you have opened a possible minumum of 36 files. If any of those files were locked, you had to wait. If 20 users are on the site all at the same time that's 720 files at one time that are being opened. as the number of users increase the machine won't be able to open files fast enough to keep up...

This is a tiny look into what's happening with speed...

Are you crazy? Do you really think flames on a 56k modem will do the trick?  No, of course not.  You need a new intake manifold.

Naw. You just need to add NOS. Not a bottle, just the sticker...

LOL!  Stickers really do work!  I'm gonna be getting some Pentium 4 stickers for my comp, followed by a GeForce 4 sticker, and then another sticker that reads "Please don't freeze in the middle of my games anymore".  That should take care of all my problems forever, plus add about 100hp.  But I plan on saving up to get that NOS sticker.  Man, it'll be a good day when I can get that sticker...

• 2 weeks later...
you have to have the type-R  i was talkin to some honda boys and they claim it was givin em 25-30 HP ... thats only if the sticker is over 7 inches long  you could possibly try a chrome fire extinguisher .. in plain view.    just some ideas :)

Don't forget the Summit racing sickers for the older crowed ;)... summit racing was started in my home town, you'd be supprised at what junk is driving around with those damn stickers ??? I guess they think it runs better with them, or maybe there they to hold there cars together.