Replacing Rear Speakers...

keyword: speaker speakers rear replacing

----

Someone posted this awhile back and I didn't believe it -- so I tried it. Besides, I wanted to reduce unwanted road noise, so I covered the lower rear interior panels with Dynamat. Dynamat is a sheet of sound deading material. I prefer original -- not as messy. Others prefer the new version -- easier to apply.

1) Remove rear seat.

-- Two bolts secure seat to floorboard.

2) Remove rear seat belt retractors.

3) Loosen the door scuff panel.

-- Use trim stick (saves plastic clips)

4) Remove lower interior quarter panels.

-- One bolt secures panel behind seat.

They slide forward. Do not force. There is a metal hook-like clip that secures panel to body, near the top.

5) Remove wrap-around seat cushions.

-- Two bolts secure cushion to side of car.

There are two hook-like clips. Gently, pull cushion forward and down.

Now you have clear access to plastic panels covering rear speakers. The rear seat method is REALLY easier than the bending back the wrap-around seat cushion method.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I don't see how you did it that way...must have allready been doen once....you can't get the rear speaker mounts off with out taking off the cover which require you to remove the side bolsters which usually requires you to remove the back seats...

• 4 weeks later...

yay, my first post here

i came to this forum cuz i need some help

i dont know how to access the rear speakers

i installed a cd changer yesterday, but my 19 year old stock speakers are in really bad shape and i wanted to replace them

a friend gave me 2 pioneer speakers today, and i almost broke one of the covers of the rear speakers thinking that they were just below them (hm.. i broke 2 pins that hold one of them)

is it the same instructions for an 84 starion?

I don't see how you did it that way...must have allready been doen once....you can't get the rear speaker mounts off with out taking off the cover which require you to remove the side bolsters which usually requires you to remove the back seats...

Granted it does take little over an hour to do both, but I took off the cover.  That was kinda hard but I wedged it out.  Then took off the hatch shock.  Then removed the bolts for the baraket.  Then removed the bracket.  Then removed the speaker from the bracket.

I did it with all three of my Quest.  And all still had the factory speakers, so I doubt anybody did them be for me.

It is very common to remove the rear seat -- for example it needs to be removed to replace parking brake cables.   Follow my steps.  Once the wrap-around seat cushions are removed, the screws which secure the rear plastic covers over the speakers can be easily removed.  

• 7 months later...
I did mine like top dawg.  I didn't take out the back seats.  And the speakers are stock, so I don't think anybody did it before me.  I still can't figure out how to get the speakers out though...

You can't get the speakers out of the car without removing the speaker mount braket, at-least it's that way in my '88.

Even once you get all the nuts holding the speaker in, there isn't enough room to slide the speaker out.

The speaker mount braket also doubles as the rear hatch hydralic arm support, so get a long stick or something of that nature to support the hatch while you remove and install new speakers, one side at a time.

Not saying it didn't happen, but I can't see how the rear deck could be pulled without removing the back seat.

There are a couple screws holding the lower rear side panel in that are coverd up by the rear bench seat.

The lower rear side panel also covers up the two screws holding the upper rear side panel in place.

The upper rear side panel in turn covers at-least one screw, I think two that are necessary to be able to remove the rear deck from the car.

Jig-saw puzzle anyone? :P

I suppose if someone was to wedge back the side of the rear bench seat to get to the screws in the lower part of the car to remove the side panels they might be able to do it without removing the rear bench seat.

But the rear seat is so easy to remove and so light, it would be more trouble than it would be worth.

Not to mention, the chance of damage to the rear bench and side panel when trying to put the screw back in place would be too great.

Besides, removing the rear bench seat gives you a good opportunity to find all the lose change that has fallen out of your buddies pockets when you've taken them on joy rides. ;D 8)

What size, brand, model rear speaker do you suggest? A number of years ago, I had Circuit City replace my factory unit with a JVC KW-XC550 CD/cassette receiver. A double-din unit which fit quite nicely, but apparently was more than my speakers could handle.  :-/ With lots of popping and crackling, I think they need replacing with more powerful jobs. With the procedure mapped out above, I want to have the replacements bought and standing by before I open things up.

• 4 months later...

When it comes to stereo speakers, it's all about your personal taste.

I don't doubt that your stock speakers have taken' a beating over the years.

They are only rated at 15 watts RMS and something like 25 or 35 watts peak.

With most modern decks pushing upwards of 18 to 20 watts RMS and 45 to 50 watts peak, it was only a matter of time before they blew.

I'd recommend going around to your local car stereo shops and listen to some of the speakers they have to see what sounds good to you.

The stock sizes are 6 1/2" in the rear deck and 5 1/4" in the doors.

The dash speakers are a bit of a dilema.

I've heard some say that they are 5 1/4", some have said that there is a 3" speaker on the drivers side and a 4" on the passenger side, or some wierd combination like that.

Either way, they are a pain to get to.

As I understand, you have to pretty much tear the entire dash apart to get to them. (At least the drivers side that is.)

If you don't mind installing them yourself, which it sounds like you don't, I'd recommend going to your local shops to get a idea of what specific speakers you're going to want, then check out the prices online.

It's possible to save a bunch of money ordering online.

For instance, during the last part of last summer, I put a Clarion MP3 deck and Infinity Kappa speakers in the rear deck and doors in '88 Starion.

To buy the parts localy, it would of cost me around $750. :o

When I ordered it all online, I payed a total of about $475.

No problem, and good luck in your install.

Just take your time and be patient and everything will go fine.

I'd recommend planning a whole day to do the install, just so your not rushed.

6 1/2" in back and 5 1/4" in doors?  

That's odd...

My backs are 5 1/4" and my doors are like 4" or something.  Replaced the door ones a while ago - new speakers were the exact size as the stock ones.

The back ones i have not replaced, because im bypassing the stock speaker into 6x9 boxes sitting on the hatch floor.  But even still, they definately don't look like 6 1/2".  Also, at best buy it says 5 1/4" for rear and 4" for doors (in their computers for selecting speakers).

That's odd...

In my experience...

The factory put 5 1/4" coaxial 2-way speakers in the hatch.  I have seen people grind out the speaker mounts in order to install aftermarket 6 1/2".

The factory put 5 1/4" mid-range woofer (1-way) speakers in the doors for the newer model years.  The factory put 4" dual-cone speakers in the doors for the older model years.  

I was not able to install 5 1/4" aftermarket speakers in my doors.  Even after I purchase 5 1/4" speaker mounts from an 88 TSi, 5 1/4" speakers would not fit unless I pounded in door sheetmetal to make room.  

Hmmm... well mine is a '88.

I put 6 1/2" Infinity Kappa's in the rear deck with very, and I mean very little modification to the speaker basket itself.

The 5 1/4" Kappa's fitted in the doors a bit easier, but again, extremely minor mods. Like cutting the plastic backing that sheilds the speaker from water inside the door. But not in a way that would comprimise it's functionality.

Maybe '88 and '89s are a little different than '87 and earlier?

• 4 weeks later...
Hmmm... well mine is a '88.

I put 6 1/2" Infinity Kappa's in the rear deck with very, and I mean very little modification to the speaker basket itself.

The 5 1/4" Kappa's fitted in the doors a bit easier, but again, extremely minor mods. Like cutting the plastic backing that sheilds the speaker from water inside the door. But not in a way that would comprimise it's functionality.

Maybe '88 and '89s are a little different than '87 and earlier?

Well mine is an '87, so that seems likely.

That's odd...

My backs are 5 1/4" and my doors are like 4" or something.  Replaced the door ones a while ago - new speakers were the exact size as the stock ones.

The back ones i have not replaced, because im bypassing the stock speaker into 6x9 boxes sitting on the hatch floor.  But even still, they definately don't look like 6 1/2".  Also, at best buy it says 5 1/4" for rear and 4" for doors (in their computers for selecting speakers).

86 and below with the older style stereo have 4.25 and 5.25 speakers.

87 and above with the newer style stereo have 5.25 and 6.5 speakers.

to upgrade to the larger speakers on the earlier years, one needs to change the mouting brackets only.

• 3 months later...

I have been told and read on this board that 6X9 speakers won't work at all in the factory rear deck location... I made them fit tonight! It took a little "surgery" to the bracketry, but you would never know they were there if I didn't tell you.

I installed a set of Pioneer 280 watt 6X9s. I will see tomorrow how they sound tomorrow.

Chris

This is a f@#$ed up jigsaw puzzle!! ???The rear deck and driverside speakers are a monster to get out.Lets face it, common sence will only get you so far when installing.When mobile one and or car toys say,we will install it for free.......rock on!!!!!..........but..........What if they break things getting them out?My thoughts are do it yourself! This thread,and all of these posts on this forum are the best source of information. and will save you a ton of money. ;D