rear speakers won't fit

i am replacing the factory speakers with a set of polk 6.5's. when i got the rears out and attempted to put the new ones in, they wouldn't fit the bolts sticking down to hold the speakers in place. anyone know an easy way to correct this? file the speaker side open to fit? put new screw in the mounting bracket?

I'm not exactly sure without a visual...but...I can run through some things anyways...

Does the speakers basket interfere with the stock mounting point?

Solution: Cut the stock metal mounting point until it fits....Or, use pieces of wood to raise the speaker...have the wood in between the stock mounting point and the speaker's screw/bolt holes. So, if there's four screws, use four little pieces of wood....

That'll raise the whole speaker, and the spaeker's basket shouldn't interfere anymore.....

Like you were saying about the filing...that'd work good too, if the speaker sits all the way flush with the mounting point....Hell, you could even solder them together....

John

Open up the holes with a die grinder.  Cut them from the existing holes that are close and then take all of the metal off of the speaker towards the outside.  Not very clear directions but it should end up looking like a clock with notches @ 3,6,9,12 o'clock.

Good luck

E-Mann

i ended up getting it working, thankfully. i went to a local stereo store and asked them about it, they gave me a set of spacer plates for free that you just screw the speaker into and find the matching holes for the stock location. so i'm trying that tomorrow. next step is to finish running all the wires to my amp so i have a radio again.

Jason

i ended up getting it working, thankfully. i went to a local stereo store and asked them about it, they gave me a set of spacer plates for free that you just screw the speaker into and find the matching holes for the stock location. so i'm trying that tomorrow. next step is to finish running all the wires to my amp so i have a radio again.

Jason

Good to hear that! Wires are cakewalk ;D