DSM CD/AMP/TAPE installed.. PICS

Hey guys, I know some of you are dying to see what these things look like..lol..I know I was too...I dropped one in my Quest in about half an hour..works great..and before you ask..it does play CDr's...Sony branded is all I have..and they work..the wheel controls still work, of course dont function with the cdplayer part, only volume, and mute, do anything..since they weren't specifically for cd players..however all of them function when using the radio part..great modification, cost me 50 bucks on ebay..so it was cheaper than a cdplayer at the store, looks stock to keep up with my mint interior, so I was stoked..

http://63.251.78.219/Image%20file/dsmradio2.jpg

http://63.251.78.219/Image%20file/dsmradio1.jpg

let me know what you think.. Josh

Is it just the 90-94 that fit in our cars? Any other years? meaning the plugs same as ours...Are they 2 diff pieces that can be swap around, having the CD player on top and tape on the bottom?! And last but not least...All steering control works? (vol+,vol-, am/fm, mute, memory,seek) thanx man!  8)

correct on the years, yes on the plugs, no on swapping them around, not enough room back there..the wheel controls only control volume and mute when in the cdplayer mode, however tape/radio functions still work..ie seek...keep in mind it wasnt ever setup to do anything with the cdplayer, but havingt he volume and mute is good for me, only thing I really adjust in times I can't look down..cell phone ringing etc...if anyone needs any help let me know. Josh

Good damn luck trying to find one.  When I saw this post I went to Ebay, they had one auction and it was up to somewhere near $100.00 with a "reserve not yet met".  No thanks.  I would buy a aftermarket deck for that price.

I then checked around @ some salvage yards in NY, another dead end.  So, it seems that I can't find a fan shroud off of a '84 Quest and a DSM Cd/Tape deck anywhere in NY.  >:(

I guess NY'ers don't total out DSM cars w/ that kind of a radio and there are just no '84 StarQuests laying around anywhere!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Oh crap!  I finally got mine in the mail today and it looks different then the one pictured here.  The CD looks the same, however the radio portion is different.

There is no EQ on this one and the volume control is a wheel, not a push button.

Just for $hits and giggles, I put it into the 88 Quest.  It went in and two out of 3 plugs plugged into the back of this unit.  There are two white plugs which went in fine and one small black plug (no, not the antenna plug.) that didn't have anywhere to plug into on the backside of the radio.   Turned on the radio and *wallauh* everything works.  Now what the heck is the black plug for?  Lemme guess?  Steering wheel controls?  >:(

What the hell did I end up with????

Thats where I got this one from.  >:(

Whats the black plug coming from the wiring harness on the Quest used for?  Like I said, everything works on this radio, but there is a black plug left un-plugged

I have that same CD player in my '90 GS-T

I can tell you this much, those CD decks were rare back then and not many 1G's had them rolling out of the factory in 1990.

I was surprised mine still worked to be honest.

Nice cd combo. I too would like to do the same thing.

Nice install job there too.