87 reverse lights

vb472

well first things first    this should have been posted on the "virtual mechanic" board  you will get more replys that way and second        i can tell u for sure it is your reverse light switch it is bolted on the side of the tranny   wither the wires are crossed or its bad    autozone has them or pepboys

Lewie

Yeah the wires tend to seperate from the switch with time but I think the default is off.  There is a ball bearing that sits right ontop of the switch in the tranny.   Is it there?   If the switch was removed and this bearing was not reinstalled, it will stay on all the time.

kev

When I was a teen, we didn't have LED washers, neon lighting, and blue bulbs for turn signals.  Some of us painted our chrome grills flat black and placed yellow fog lights behind the grill.  Others of us, wired our back-up lights to stay on while key was in the ignition.  The previous owner may have done the same.

If not, I would look where the back-up light circuit is grounded -- probably near the gear shift.  That switch is stuck closed.  

• 5 years later...
Yeah the wires tend to seperate from the switch with time but I think the default is off.  There is a ball bearing that sits right ontop of the switch in the tranny.   Is it there?   If the switch was removed and this bearing was not reinstalled, it will stay on all the time.

kev

Kev,

I know this an old topic but i just recently installed another tranny and i noticed my reverse light was stuck on and i was pissed thinking i messed up the stupid sensor removing it from my old tranny. I did notice while putting up my new tranny i saw a bearing sitting on the garage floor and i was wondering what the heck is that and what is it from. after reading this, i better go find that bearing before i sweep it up. thanks for post or i would have gone mad trying to figure out what the heck i did wrong.