87 with Honeycomb rims

I am looking at buying and building up an 87 Conquest 2.6L. It is black with honeycomb rims. I have not seen anyother Conquests with honeycomb rims. Is this feature rare or is it after market. It didnt look aftermarket considering they were the same color as the car. Please let me know. Also, I want to get it into the 13s, what would be the way to go and about how much do you think id have to drop on it. Please post on here or email me.

Thanks,

Tony

The honeycomb wheels are aftermarket wheels.

To get into the 13's is pretty easy to do with these cars. First off, you want to make sure the car is running the way it should before adding any additional hp. If everything checks out fine, feel free to turn up the boost, add a larger free-flowing exhaust system k&n. Starting with the "free mods" is a good place to start too.Some of the experts here can go into depth with you.

Welcome to the club!

Jerry

I think I am going to pull the engine out to start off with and rebuild it and what not. Get all new gaskets(whatever everyone recommends for higher boost) and then get a new turbo. What is recommended for the new turbo?

Well, that all depends on what your plans are for the car. Do you want a fast daily driver  or  a street/strip warrior? My guess is the later.

The size of the turbo dictates how much fuel you're gonna need. For instance...I run a 20G turbo, which is the largest bolt-on turbo that will fit our stock manifold. Fuel mods are a must if you plan on running over 12-13psi of boost. A 16G or a super 16G and maybe a 17c are probably the best turbo's if you don't want to mess with the fuel system too much and want to run about 15-17psi boost, but, a larger fuel pump is a good safety precaution no matter what turbo you buy(an adj. fuel pressure reg. is a good idea too). If you want to strap on something bigger than a 20G than you're talking major fuel mods and $$$....that's where SDS AIC's and MPI's and the like come in to play. I'm definately the wrong person to talk about that though.

Once you get the engine rebuilt, search the boards for aftermarket parts...members are selling all sorts of good things all the time. One person you should definately look up is Kellydahman. He's on the boards here and he makes and sells the hardpipe kits that replace the cloth and rubber turbo and intercooler hoses as well as mandrel bent 3" exhaust systems. The quality and prices are EXCELLENT!!!

Jerry

Yes that is what they are...black to match the black car...BTW I am kind of looking to build something between a daily driver and a strip monster...it is a project car so it will not be daily driven but i still want to be able to take it out and teach all the little kids in their ricers a little history. Seriously, is there anything special with the rims?

I am relatively new to starquests so I dont really understand how rare those s.h.p 8 and 9s are. What kind of rims are those honeycombs anyway? Thanks for all the help...I am going to be needing a lot more in a few weeks!! I'm really excited to be building a conquest.

The 8 and 9 inch rims were only available in 1988 and 1989, as part of the Sport Handling Package.  This also included 8-way adjustable suspension, different spring rates, and larger (225/50/16front, 245/45/16rear) tires.  Production numbers of these cars weren't exactly the highest amount.  

the black mesh wheels you are speaking of are probably enkeis....i have a set of them....not only were they available on the aftermarket they were also available by special order through the dealership in 86/87....that makes them oem.

That being said enkei made that style of wheel for alot of cars...the difference in the ones that fit and the ones that dont. The offset of the right ones for our cars mirror the stock 7's and 8's.

http://www.26liter.us/dugallery/pictures/shinywheelresize.jpg

Monty

• 10 months later...

Hi

I just put a set of Honeycombe rims on my car got them from ebay 200 bucks when I chipped the black paint they had gold underneath they are 16 inch 7's up front and 8's in the back I fitted them with 225 and 245 they came with a ugly center cap which has ARS which I think stands for American Racing Systems not sure will have to take another look at them next time I go to my shop

Look good on the car

Romano

I love the look of the Honeycomb wheels, thats was my inspriation on painting the centers on my stock wheels  ;D

http://www.26liter.us/DUgallery/pictures/frontangle2small.jpg

Guest c89zx7r
enkei makes the honeycomb rims not factory . and there not made anymore . there not oem . and there the right offset for our cars there also 16/7's and 16/8's . i you want center caps to them go to enkei and get them . couple of friends has a set of them . and i'm about to get a set . and yes the set i'm getting says enkei on the center caps . very rare wheels more rare than the 16/8's and 16/9's . when they were being sold a set would range from 1300 to 1800 bux