ahh, coolant leak from Magna adapter plate!

I was filling my car with coolant and now it started to leak from the adapter plate ! In near the rear of the car where the heater hose attaches. Did I put the plate on correctly? I put the adapter up against the head and the gasket then the manifold. Did I need to put another gasket between the head and adapter?

Jonathan

You must use this adapter. I promise :)

2 gaskets (one on each side). Aussie gasket should go between the adapter and the manifold, and on the head side of the adapter will be a US style intake gasket.

Joel

What a pain in the a**....

Take care

Shawn

i agree, why did they start using the adapter plate?  mine came with that water port welded up and cut out to fit.  i wonder if that can still be done?  seems like more work to fabricate a plate and more chances for something to leak now that the area has been doubled.  there must be some other reason.

Supposedly it was done so that way any of us that switch to an Aussie head won't have to undo the weld up job... just remove stupid plate and thats the end.

Oh well.

Joel

Supposedly it was done so that way any of us that switch to an Aussie head won't have to undo the weld up job... just remove stupid plate and thats the end.

Oh well.

Joel

hmmm.. not so sure I am so hot on that plate idea....  :-/

Ya guys, pay the extra $$ and have that coolant port welded up.

I wish i knew about it when i bought mine. Mine was one of the first of the batch that started this whole adapter plate fiasco. I had to retorque damn plate again today, Blegh.

Joel

• 1 year later...

How come I never got an adaptor plate?

I got a unmodded magna intake manifold and Chad moddified it for me.

I had it test fitted with a gasket I made up, and ran it, no leaks.

But now I have a slight coolant leak coming from the somewhere around the intake. Its very possible that this is leaking from somewhere else weird around there.

Im also curious about what type of gasket we would use here if we wanted to buy one. I assume you could buy one for the US style intake manifold and make it work.

Whoops, here's my answer from another thread:

You can use the stock gasket where it meets the head. The rear water passage is resized so it has everything the same as the stock intake (atleast on the ones I mod, don't know about the others). The plenum to manifold seal can either be cut, or use some RTV glue (gasket glue). It's just air passing though there, no water/oil so that should be plenty safe, cheap, and easy.